i need help figuring out what wetsuit to buy - please : 0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulhalmoni

Reaction score
I am Canadian - but I currently work in Turkey
# of dives
0 - 24
HI all
I have decided it's time to invest in some equipment. I want a wetsuit, a good mask and some flippers.
simple right? argh :confused:
ok - wetsuit - I dive mostly exclusively in South East Asia (Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Phillipines) as well as in the red sea. Should I buy a shortie or a full length? What thickness would be a best bet for the places that I dive?
and finally - what brands are best? I am female ... does that make a difference?

rash guards/undershirts - i saw alot of these in the red sea - necessary? They are pretty useful for snorkelling i suppose.

mask - what fits, right? ok. good brands to recommend?

final question - flippers - what do we think about split fin? bad? again.. what feels good?

so - if i was to buy these items ... would that be a good starter kit? I don't really want to invest in vest right now or anything... i just want my own "close to my skin" gear.

i know this is a long shopping list of things to ask for help from .. but i just get lost when i start to look at stuff. And i have spent enough money on equipment lately that it makes sense to buy my own.
thanks in advance everyone!
:D

A lot of these items are things you have to try for yourself. Wetsuits are dependent on how cold you get. I know divers who use a 7mm in water where a 3/2 is almost too warm for me. FINS are something you should try out first if you can and a mask that fits properly is pretty important. Brands? You will find most companies produce good products. A lot depends on how much you want to spend.

whatever it is, it all must be black :wink:

oh hey cool.. you are from saskatchewan - grew up there : )
ok... am now a bit confused - bc you said 7mm.. which i understand (and perhaps is a bit too warm where I am usually diving) and then 3/2.
I admit - I have no idea what you mean by 3/2.
can you explain?
thanks

Are there dive shops near where you are? A good start would be to go in and just look and ask questions. You'll find that most here on SB have their own opinions on all the gear you may buy and you might be just as confused after a long thread. If you do a little looking you can find many threads about the virtues of all different types of equipment.

Wetsuits are made in different thicknesses and 7mm describes how thick it is. A 3/2 is part 3mm and part 2mm. But not all are created equal. Some suits will be warmer than others of the same thickness.

I'm in Saskatchewan right now in fact, Saskatoon. I'm going back to Asia in a couple weeks though...:D

thanks dennis - i may try and buy a suit here in Turkey - but the import tax is insane - I am going to be in Asia in a week as well.. and may try and buy there. If not, maybe i will do it when I get back to Canada this summer.
you still did not explain the 3/2 to me.. i get the mm thickness thing ... but not that fraction you used.
and if you dive in asia - are you generally using a full suit or a half suit?
thanks
and stay warm in saskatoon - brrrr

Diving in the tropics I use a 5mm in winter. Water Temp around 25C and a shorty or shorts in the Summer. Water Temp around 28C. This is usually done with around 3 dives a day.

Other people I work with use a 7mm in winter and a 3/2 in Summer. So again it us up to you and dependant on how cold you get.

A 3/2 is a 3mm with 2mm parts to it. Usually the arms and areas that require more flexibility will be 2mm.

Ok so Dennis beat me to the explanation.

Back
Top Bottom