Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been working out 3x week now for months, with a jog/run M-W-F, starting slow and picking it up the further I go. By the last 100 yards, its been a sprint. Then I got a little under the weather a couple times in the past month, taking a week off to concentrate on getting healthy. So, I just started back last week, with nice slow easy jogs in the morning, distance, my standard route at 2 miles. This past Friday I jogged in the morning and evening. The morning jog was my usual pace without the sprinting, but the evening jog was pretty slow, yet steady. I don't know how far I went, but was going for about 45 minutes.

There is a 5K next weekend. I would LOVE to run it. Never done one before, heck never have jogged 3.1 miles straight yet. My biggest concern is I have a deep dive planned on Saturday, about 12-15 hrs. before the race. Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Scuba_Jenny:
I have been working out 3x week now for months, with a jog/run M-W-F, starting slow and picking it up the further I go. By the last 100 yards, its been a sprint. Then I got a little under the weather a couple times in the past month, taking a week off to concentrate on getting healthy. So, I just started back last week, with nice slow easy jogs in the morning, distance, my standard route at 2 miles. This past Friday I jogged in the morning and evening. The morning jog was my usual pace without the sprinting, but the evening jog was pretty slow, yet steady. I don't know how far I went, but was going for about 45 minutes.

There is a 5K next weekend. I would LOVE to run it. Never done one before, heck never have jogged 3.1 miles straight yet. My biggest concern is I have a deep dive planned on Saturday, about 12-15 hrs. before the race. Is there anything I should be concerned about?
Dr Deco has posted on diving and exercise - I posted a question about working out and diving last year, and he answered that 4 hours after a dive is adequate for doing a hard workout. 12-15 hours is plenty of time to offgas before doing a 5k run - a 5k is only 3 miles that's not a really HARD workout, he (Dr Deco) suggested that mild cardio activity as shortly as 2 hours after a dive can aid in offgassing.

Check - http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2437625&postcount=9
and - http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=119989
and - http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2113119

Thanks Howard. From what I read, there should not be a problem.

Scuba_Jenny:
Thanks Howard. From what I read, there should not be a problem.
It shouldn't - and I hope you do well in the run :D

I hope to finish! LOL

Good luck with your 5k! Actually you don't need luck cause you can do it.

Jenny you will do fine, and there is nothing wrong with walking part of it. When I was running 5k's I usually walked part, geez I think the last several miles of both marathons I did was more of a walk then anything else.

Your goal is to go and complete it! That makes you a winner!

Jenny... i'll be at the finish holding a pack of tim tams for you :D

what was the 5k record again??? :D

as log as you believe you will be fine... go for it!

*insert forest gump like accent*... run Jenny, run

Your goal is to go and complete it! That makes you a winner!
... very nice

I checked the website for the race yesterday and learned the 5k is on Saturday, the half and full marathon on Sunday-the day I was planning on running. Dang. Diving in the Keys on Saturday. Bummed I am gonna miss this race, poor planning on my account, however with the running season in high gear right now, I am sure I will find another, maybe smaller and more local. The thought to going to another country (Miami) didn't help entice me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom