Molakai Doesn't Want Us Over There?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So...we were talking story with my dockmates today...saw them walking down the dock looking guilty like they had skipped work. So, I said "hey, did ya'll skip work today to go spear fish?" and they laughed and said they had. Well, we started talking about conditions, and how the weather was supposed to be stellar this weekend, after some front passes through tomorrow, and how we wanted to go to Molakai. So "John-boy" says that DNLR is having big meetings over there right now, trying to hear some people out about not wanting boats from other islands permited to zoom over and take their fish. They say thery are getting fished out due to visitors...and want to pass something. He is from Molakai, but lives here. Anybody see this in the paper or anything?

Could you go there and just not fish? Does the DNLR have the authority to do this? What is it like on Nihihau? He said their counts are way down now, since the fishing changes.

How do spell that island anyway? Ni'i hau ?

I'm sure the DLNR has the power to say that some waters are no-fishing zones (e.g. Molokini).

They'd really have to justify it, though... I don't think they can do it in a "if you live on Molokai, you can fish, if you don't, you can't" -- it would have to be all-or-nothing... with maybe a "if you're from Hawaii, you can fish, if you're not, you can't."

Correctly, with the `okina is Ni`ihau.

Lazy way (and the way I usually do it) is Niihau.

Ah...ikena? as in Pu'uikena?

I can see where if you lived on Molakai, why you would be protective of the fish over there.

Back
Top Bottom