GUE Membership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
With the recent airing of The Britannic Mission by the illustrious GUE and the attention it seemed to get, I feel it may be a poignant time to ask how many of us ARE members.
For just $100 you can do your bit in supporting GUE. With the amount we spend on gear, it’s a drop in the ocean (pun intended). And you get a really cool t-shirt!!
So if your not a member, get off ya butt and fill in the forms, its a wealth of information and worth every cent.

Dave

Oh yes by all means you must join GUE. What other opportunity will you get to subsidize other peoples diving and an unnamed "nonprofit research entity". (directly from their web site)

Until I see a demonstrated benefit to the "Diving Community" as a whole from GUE like they claim to be effecting, I believe that it would be more beneficial to express and support more rigorous standards than to join at the $100 or more level.

omar

This is a conversation I have tried to have with several people and got nothing but insults every time. I am a member of the NACD and the NSS-CDS. These organization make obviouse (to me) contributions to the cave diving community (me), so I pitch in. They actively work toward increasing access to caves. The NSS even owns access to several. There are many research projects sponsored by each of these organizations that have clear benefits both to cave divers and the community. Just go to cave country, pick up any cave map and see who the survey team members are. Having my NSS-CDS membership card gets me into some wonderful caves. If there are such benefits to being a GUE member I have not been able to find out about them. I know it is a seperate organization (but there is certainly a relationship) but the WKPP and specificaly GI seems more interested in gaining exclusive access for themselves. It seems counterproductive to fund them. And the cost is much higher than the other organzations.

Mike,
I second that.. I don't do much cave diving theses days (Its probably been over 2 years now) but I still continue to support the NSS-CDS.. There is clear evidence on the good they do from protecting public access to cleaning up locations and making them more accessable.. Send your money to a worthy organization who has clearly benefited the community and can show it..
What kind of research has this unamed gue not for profit organizaton done?? who else has it benefitted?? They should let people see the books if they want funds...

padiscubapro once bubbled...
What kind of research has this unamed gue not for profit organizaton done?? who else has it benefitted?? They should let people see the books if they want funds...
Erm, expeditions to the Britannic spring to mind, to determine the real cause of what sunk a hospital ship in WW1 with loss of 30 lives... the expedition had specific goals such as determining if illegal munitions were being smuggled on the ship by the British Government of the time, whether watertight doors were sealed or not.... did you watch the documentary?

I'm not a member though.

bengiddins once bubbled...
Erm, expeditions to the Britannic spring to mind, to determine the real cause of what sunk a hospital ship in WW1 with loss of 30 lives... the expedition had specific goals such as determining if illegal munitions were being smuggled on the ship by the British Government of the time, whether watertight doors were sealed or not.... did you watch the documentary?

I'm not a member though.

We dive wrecks in the Great Lakes where hundreds of lives were lost. There are uncountable unsolved mysteries of historical value associated many of these wrecks. Would you help me pay for next seasons dives? Well the Brtannic is deeper and more sensational but more historicly significant? A greater tragedy in terms of loss of life? Something I am willing to pay for? You do it.

The GUE is a cave/tech certification agency/org. I am a cave diver. I haven't found a benefit to me or the cave community. Research? I have had trouble finding anything that even comes close to what the other organizations are doing. I don't know about their official policy but some of their members seem to want to keep the rest of us out of the caves. I can't pay for that.

Why? I didn't have to call the NSS or the NACD to figure out what it was they would do for me as a member or what they have done for cave diving. Are you a member? If you are, why did you join? What do you feel you have gained from it?

I am also a member of the NSS-CDS{just renewed after a hiatus}I do not remember such exclusiveness springing from the NSS or The Nacd.Cave diving was available to those who were interested in caving but in a subtle-mentoring way.I respect this way of thinking and I do not agree with the mainstreaming of cave diving as certain organizations have begun to market this.The NSS is low profile to the masses{for a reason}And they are PRIMARILY INTERESTED IN CAVES not the bottom line/bragging rights.I know what the NSS has done for ALL cavers dry and wet and I know that They do this with a pure love for CAVES!I am not against new techniques being shared and I cannot take away amazing accomplishments but I DO NOT LIKE the mentality springing forth these days.perhaps it is more evident to me because i have been out for a while but I see such unprofessoinalism being displayed by certain followers.The NSS would never think of belittling a prospective caver due to poor choices/technique IE STROKES -they would mentor this individual with an eye on progression.After all who invented this stuff?and who trained A lot of GUE?{pre-gue} Sorry I just get po'd at some people that push stuff simply because they said so rather than we discussed this and this is the best approach.This is by no means an attack on the poster of this thread.

I have always been a little leary of joining an organisation without knowing what they are doing with the money.

I was in cave country this last summer, and after returning i emediatly joined the NACD.

They are mapping, and providing maps, they are sponsering park clean ups.

I left there with a general feeling that they were doing a lot for the caves and the cave comunity down there. so i am happy to support them.

Tell me what is the WKRP doing fro the general cave divers, the caves, etc [this is not a troll] i simply do not know.
can i go dive in the caves they are diving in

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom