chlorine pools and equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This probably has been answered before but how bad is chlorinated pools on equipment
( regs.,bc's, etc..)?

I have done training before in chlorinated pools but with rental equipment so I haven't given it much thought till now after purchasing my own.
I have had people tell me that chlorine will destroy the seals and rubber components in regs. and bc's. And I have other's tell me it's no big deal as long as you rinse everything after a pool dive.
The LDS where the pool is located says it won't hurt equipment at all. I'm not sure who is right to me it seems that chlorine wouldn't be good for equip. I would like to use all my own equipment during pool sessions but if it's bad on my stuff I'll just rent everything.

Yes, chlorine does affect equipment but it's not enough of an issue to give up the benefit of practicing with your own gear. Yes, just thoroughly rinse your equipment in fresh water right after you get out of the pool.

You should get into the habit of allways washing your gear after every dive. That will keep it in better condition in the long run.

Rinsing is important, but biggest impact with chlorine is probably color. It will turn the standard BC black to brown in a hurry! I have spent many days in the pool with OW classes, and now will only take rental gear into the pool.

Pool dives wont do any damage to the o-rings in your regs that I am aware of and I've done 1000's of them and never really rinsed them other than a splash.
On the other hand I have a Seaquest BC that is turning orange and a Scubapro wetsuit that the stitching turned pink and I did rinse those after every dive.
That said I was in the pool for 4-5 hours a day 5-6 days a week.

Chorline will do bad things to the neoprene of your wetsuit over time it makes it stiff and more prone to tearing

Salt crystals will probably ruin things more easiliy than chlorine, but chlorine will turn black to brown. If you give it a rinse, it'll be fine, and if you get upst when your gear looks like it's been used....not abused, simply used, then....who doesn't want to look like a hardcore diver?

Thanks for the info, I would prefer to practice with my own gear. I mainly dive in fresh water but even with that I still rinse my equipment, I spent to much on it not to. I just wasn't sure how the chlorine in the pool would affect it.

GregV:
Thanks for the info, I would prefer to practice with my own gear. I mainly dive in fresh water but even with that I still rinse my equipment, I spent to much on it not to. I just wasn't sure how the chlorine in the pool would affect it.
The fresh water you dive in is probably quite much the same water you rinse the equipment in :wink:
Only reason to rinse the equipment after a freshwater dive as far as i can see is to get sand and other particles off it..

Come to think of it.. Much of the tapwater is infact cleaned by use of chlorine so it might be, to the extent of the harm of the added chlorine, worse to your gear than the freshwater you dive in..

If i took a leak in my wetsuit, id rinse it THOROUGHLY even if i dove in freshwater tho..

Well that clorine can do more damage than is alluded to here. I have a pool only BCD and it's pretty much falling apart now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom