Want more D-ring capacity ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark_tamer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for more D-ring capacity ??

:14: Here's what I do.

Carabiniers ( mountaint climbing things ) clipped on one D-ring ... tripples the capacity !!!:wink:

IMG_0001.JPG

P.S. ... Might not be D.I.R. !!!!!:shakehead :rofl3:

They remind me of suicide clips...

ut oh!! you will die if you use these!:popcorn:

shark_tamer:

Carabiniers ( mountaint climbing things ) clipped on one D-ring ... tripples the capacity !!!:wink:

View attachment 36325

Don't look like marine grade to me. How much stuff are you hanging up there?

rawls:
They remind me of suicide clips...

They might actually be effective if they are the locking style with the screw down nut that locks them shut.

I have added 2 D rings on my BC tank straps, one on each side of the tank.
Its a nice place to put an extra light or a spool.
Jim Breslin

I guess I don't see how that allows more "capacity"? The carabiners are taking up space that would normally allow things to be clipped off. Unless you are simply saying you use the carabiners to clip things off, in the way people usually use stainless double clips.
gomi_

shark_tamer:

View attachment 36325

I hate to say it, but your gonna die! :D Just kidding, I do the same, just not as many

jhbryaniv:
They might actually be effective if they are the locking style with the screw down nut that locks them shut.

Putting aside DIR considerations, these still need to be stainless steel marine grade quality, and they should have the screw down locking nut. If they don't meet these specs, then I would leave them at home due to possible breakage and entanglement. Also, having too many things located in one area can create confusion when you are finding something by feel. Extra attachment points clipped off to a D-ring take up space on the D-ring that could be used for a better purpose.

On a side note, more D-rings is not always better. The more clutter, the more drag it creates. I use a maximum of 4 D-rings on all of my setups. That's it.

Just my 2 psi...

Those aren't weight rated! Get some good steel ones! :)

And you can get locking ones for about $13 at a rock climbing place. I have one I use for rappelling. Throw a rope over something, use a short piece to make an impromptu harness, climb up and hang. I think it impresses the chicks to walk in on someone chilling, hanging upside down, spiderman style. Unless you slip and the harness ends up keeping your pants. You could use it to rappel down into a plce to go diving, but I wouldn't want to climb out on a tree limb with scuba gear on.

If you aren't going to use locking ones, then flip one around so the gate is facing the oopposite way, then clip the thing through both of them. :)

Back
Top Bottom