Only Specific Hoses to First Stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

talonraid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm no gear expert, so I thought I would post this qeustion here.

Will most Octo/console hoses connect to most Reg first stages? An employee of a LDS told me that only specific brands of Octos and console hoses can be attached to certain first stages. I've seen mix and match reg/octo/console setups and I find this hard to believe. I had the distinct feeling he was trying to influence the sale of certain more expensive gear. What do ya'll think?

Any confirmation or rebuttal of this information will be appreciated.

While their is a little truth to it, mostly its BS. There are a couple of different thread sizes that obviously must be the same and you can't use a console (HP) hose in place of a second stage hose (LP) but for the most part you can swap around as you like. A pressure gage is a pressure gauge, it does not matter who made it (or more correctly who has their name on it). Second stages are a little more complicated because some use a different low pressure than others. If memory serves me, Posidion regs use a lot higher IP than most other second stages so no, it can't be used on a first stage that has a lower IP. In other words, IF the intermedient pressure is the same for a first and second stage, sure you can use the 2 together.....At least my Zeagle first and second stages don't seem to mind my Oceanic console and my Mares octo. :)

Thanks for the input. That is sort of what I thought, but since I don't know everything (just ask my wife) I thought I would post the question here.

Tom

Second what Herman stated...the LDS was pulling th ewetsuit over your eyes of sorts. The only thing is HP ports for second stage have a specific opening. Aside from the LP ports can be swapped away...brands mean nothing as long as the thread size is the same...

As mentioned the vast majority of Low Ppressure output pressures are the same.

Likewise the 7/16 HP and 3/8 LP ports make it fairly intuitive.

Before you hose it up you should study you model for other clues. For instance 2 of the 5 LP ports on a Sherwood are designated as Primary. These 2 ports will deliver higher volumes and are best used for your second stages.

Often we can have all good knowledge but there can still be gaps.

Pete

Does your LDS also sell used cars? It sounds like they would be a natural.

My appologies to any used car salesmen I might have offended.

awap:
Does your LDS also sell used cars? It sounds like they would be a natural.

My appologies to any used car salesmen I might have offended.

Hey – I resemble that remark! :crafty:

Dave

talonraid:
I'm no gear expert, so I thought I would post this qeustion here.

Will most Octo/console hoses connect to most Reg first stages? An employee of a LDS told me that only specific brands of Octos and console hoses can be attached to certain first stages. I've seen mix and match reg/octo/console setups and I find this hard to believe. I had the distinct feeling he was trying to influence the sale of certain more expensive gear. What do ya'll think?

The only way I can see this being true is if you have a primary and a backup that need different IPs and are not adjustable.

Other than that it sounds like a load of you-know-what.

OTOH, "more expensive gear" isn't always a bad thing. You could spend your money on worse things than a good regulator.

What specifically were you looking at?

Terry

Terry

Well, if the guy said "CERTAIN" 1st stages as the OP stated, isn't that statement true? Poseidon regs with their upstream 2nd stages come to mind, and Apeks regs before the current XTX line had a 1/2" inch LP port. So, mix and matching doesn't always work. I'm sure others with more experience can give further examples.

But of course with different thread openings you wouldn't be able to make a mistake even if you wanted to since it simply won't fit.

If you did in the bargin bin and pick up some old regs pre 70's stuff you may find some hoses that have unique fittings that are not interchangeable but with newer gear a lp hose will fit in lp port and a hp hose will fit in a hp port, really easy to figure out once you start playing with it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom