ScubaPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piccola

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All, I'm sorry if this has been already asked and answered. I am new to the board and was a bit excited to find it! I am just starting out and am thinking of selecting either the scubapro mk25 or the mk11/mk17. I plan on only doing recreational dives in waters around 55-65 F, (off the coast of MA). Some of my LDS said the mk11/17 would be fine and less expensive but here is the deal while others suggested the 'upgrade'. Will I notice the benefits of 'balanced' breathing for my dive conditions? Also, I read elsewhere that if the piston type (mk25) fails, it will freeflow where as the diaphram (mk11/17) will not.

Also: Integrated weight systems or not. The bcd's are less without it and it seems a weight belt is easier to manage.

Thanks in advance for replies!
Piccola

Welcome to the board.

The Mk 17 is enviromentally sealed, the Mk 11 is not. The seal has cold water and sediment (contaminated/ dirty water) advantages. If the delta in cost is minimal to you, I don't think you can go wrong with a Mk 17. This reg will suit your needs now, and i doubt it would be a 1st stage you would outgrow (no dive info in your profile, so i made an assumption)

Weight integrated is nice... very nice :)

Shall we start the countdown of how many replies before someone suggests BP/W?

undefined:
Weight integrated is nice... very nice :)

Shall we start the countdown of how many replies before someone suggests BP/W?

Apparently, that number is 2.

Most BC's are weight integrated now. Generally only the bottom of the line aren't. The best situation is to have as balanced a rig as you can assemble with only minimal ditchable weight anyway so a belt w/ 4 lbs of lead or so is not too difficult to manage if you can acheive it.

I would only buy a balanced reg.

I'd go integrated and you won't go wrong with the MK17.

If I lived in MA, I would not expect to limit my diving to warm water for too long.

I just don't understand the attraction to weight integrated BCs. I have found 3 weight pockets but only one weight belt. And I have seen a couple other pockets go splash in the process of entering or exiting the water.

awap:
If I lived in MA, I would not expect to limit my diving to warm water for too long.

I just don't understand the attraction to weight integrated BCs. I have found 3 weight pockets but only one weight belt. And I have seen a couple other pockets go splash in the process of entering or exiting the water.

The attraction to WI BC's is comfort. Not everyone can comfortably wear a weight belt. When you have no hips, they tend to slide. I have found a lot more weight belts than integrated pockets, although I've found quite a few of them. Scubapro weight pockets are a lot less likely to be lost cause they don't use the velcro type closure.

Scuba Cowboy:
The attraction to WI BC's is comfort. Not everyone can comfortably wear a weight belt. When you have no hips, they tend to slide. I have found a lot more weight belts than integrated pockets, although I've found quite a few of them. Scubapro weight pockets are a lot less likely to be lost cause they don't use the velcro type closure.

Yes, I have seen the new Scubapro wt pocket design and don't expect to find any of them. And I understand the comfort issue, especially if the diver is using lots of weight with a conventional belt. In warm water I use little to no wt so it is OK. In cooler water I may use up to 20 lb but I uses soft weights in a pocket weight belt and have no comfort issues. My buddy had some trouble with his sliding aroud a bit but cured that with a pocket weight belt with a rubber backing. Un fortunately, it is hard to fing a top of the line BC that does not have integrated weights anymore. Has anyone mentioned a Backplate & Wing (don't need no stinking integrated weights)?

OK, here comes the second BP/W comment you've all been waiting for. I would go with a simple Backplate/Wing/One-piece harness setup, and the Scubapro MK17/S600 reg set. Definitely go with a balanced reg for high breathing performance, and don't spend time worrying about a diaphragm failure with the MK17. The MK25 is also a very high quality reg if you like a piston with swivel design, but the MK17 is sealed from the outside environment.

If you decide to go with a BCD, then a back inflate, weight-integrated one such as the Scubapro LadyHawk is a very good choice.

It's all very personal, but just buy high quality, comfortable gear that you will be satisfied with.

Just my 2 psi...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom