Help Me Pick My Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Do

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been scrimping and saving for a while, and now have $2,000 I am willing to put toward equipment - BCD, reg., octo, and computer. I am a fairly new diver, so I do not know what type of diving I will ultimately be doing (so want to be flexible), but so far, I like wreck diving and would like to try cave diving. I may do some cold water diving, but have not tried it yet. So, if you had up to $2,000 (I do not feel compelled to spend it all, but am willing to), what would you get?
thanks

Any type of technical diving with take your $2000 and laugh at it. Also you'll need quite a few more dives before you should consider that. With that in mind, I would suggest you get the following:

-A backplate & wing. This will still be useable when you move into tech stuff
-Quality regulators such as Zeagle, Apeks, or Scubapro (Zeagle or Apeks is my favorite. I have Zeagle Flathead VIs)
-Non-split fins (my Avanti Quattros w/ spring straps are very nice for frog kicking and whatnot)
-Drysuit at some point. Maybe not right away, as it will blow your budget, but you'll need it eventually.

That should get you on the road and minimize changes to your gear when you get to the tech level.

For the backplate & wing, I highly suggest Deep Sea Supply. That's what I dive and it's awesome to say the least.

Yeah, I don't think I am ready for the tech stuff quite yet. Just want the basic rec gear. I already have fins, mask, and a wet suit - the dry suit thing is going to have to wait a while.

Scuba Do:
Yeah, I don't think I am ready for the tech stuff quite yet. Just want the basic rec gear. I already have fins, mask, and a wet suit - the dry suit thing is going to have to wait a while.

The gear he suggested IS useful for rec diving. I know because I'm using a DSS backplate and wing, and have a Zeagle Flathead VI for my rec diving! If you wanted to avoid buying new gear in the future, these are good suggestions.

You can have a Halcyon, Diverite BPW for single or double setup, future if you go advanced Nitrox or tech dive, you just only invest additional wing.

Back
Top Bottom