Starting Equipment Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frantzf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First post, just created login a few days ago. Tons of information here...

Anyways, my fiance and I are taking a trip to the South Pacific in a few months for our honeymoon (Bora Bora, Tahiti and Moorea). We just signed up for an OW cert class with nitrox and will be getting our check out dives in Moorea on a referral basis.

First question:

1. I found a starter set on leisurepro.com with everything we need according to the dive center: http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_1904/Context_948/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/PCKDS19.html?Hit=1

Good price? Good starting equipment? I'll be buying two sets for her and I. I'm a little hesitant on buying from a non-authorized dealer. Will anybody do a price match?

2. Are there any people that have experience with diving in the locations I mentioned above? Tips, hints? Places to see?

Thanks for all of the help in advance!

frantzf

I personally like the Tusa Split fins, though there are those that don't.

Since you're new to the sport, to make sure you get a good fit on the mask and fins, see if you can find a local dive shop that will match the above price. I think you'll be a lot happier and get something that fits your body. (Not all makes of fins fit everyone. same for masks).

frantzf,

Give Larry or Joe at Scubatoys a call. They price match Leisurepro (anyone, really) and are great to work with. They are authorized dealers for everything they sell.

Also - have you considered getting a dive computer as well? You might want to give it some thought...

Be careful with Leisure Pro. There are threads you may want to search about them. Some of the things they sell are not backed by manufacturer warranty. Not a big deal with lower end items, but when you are looking at regs and bc's...you will want to make sure you have a solid warranty.

Frantzf: As mentioned, the fit is very important on the mask and fins. I went through 2 sets of fins before I ended up the the Tusa X-pert zoom that is part of this package. I find them very comfortable and have not had any problems with calf cramps.

The 5 mm booties in the package may be overkill for the warm waters that you'll be diving. If you go for this package you may want to ask Leisurepro if they will substitute for the 3mm Tusa booty which also work for walking around on rough beaches. I have the 3 mm and they run about a 1 size large on me. (I wear 11 shoes and the 10 in Tusa fit perfectly)

If the LDS will get close to Leisurepro prices, you'll be better off being able to try on the mask to get the right fit. Most LDS should give you at least a 10% discount for buying multiple items. So you can put together a good package yourself: The fins go for $129, decent mask $40-60, booties $25, snorkel $20-30, carry bag $25.

Check out Scubatoys.com since they give you a 10% discount for being a Scubaboard member. They are offering a free mesh bag with the Tusa fin purchase.

Hope this doesn't cause more confusion. I went through the same process last summer when I got certified. I do love the X-pert zoom fins!

I buy what I call "non-tech" gear online. However, when it comes to BCD, regulators, SPG, etc. I go through my Local Dive Shop (LDS). Why? Because when you buy a regulator from your LDS you get three additional benefits. 1. You know it has been checked out (you assume this when you buy online). 2. If it fails, you can get face-to-face with the person who sold it to you...no e-mails, no phone calls. 3. Faster repair and annual checks time. The bottom line (for me) is that if the gear I am using can cause me to lose my life, I want to deal with a living human being, not an e-mail or phone number. My life is worth more than saving a few dollars buying online. I've read on this board more than once about someone opening the box on their new online purchased regulator and crowing about how much they saved, and then posting a thread on how much it failed on a dive. Also, while you're shopping price, don't forget the shipping costs. Two BCD's, regulators, etc. You are talking a lot of weight and a lot of shipping unless you can get the online dealer to waive it.

Assuming you're doing your class thru a shop you should at least give them a shot at your business. Most shops don't make a lot on classes once you figure in instructor fees, pool rental, and whatever else. Particularly when you take into account the fact that you can't try things on before you buy on line, I would say spending a little more at the place teaching you is worth it. I give a substantial discount off the course fee for my students who get their personal gear from me so that I can avoid poor fitting mask issues.

Amen Steve. We went from two dive shops to just one in our town, Cajun Divers in Lafayette. 24 of the Cajun Divers alumni met last night to go over our Cajun Divers trip to Cozumel over Carnival week. Look, we realize our dive shopt owner is trying to pay the light bill. Like any other private merchant, we have got to support him or he will be gone. If you are a serious diver, you will want a dive shop in your town. But you have got to support it. Besides, as I said here, 24 of us are going on this trip. Cajun Divers IS our local dive community and everything that comes with being part of any club or group...Andy, the owner is more than a merchant, he is our friend.

i spent a about that price just for the same fins.. o well.. they good fins... not a bad deal.. get your reg bc divecomputer from a lds.. less hassle that way..

frantzf,

I'll be blunt, you are fast tracking this and you need a friend by your side. Assuming you trust your dive center I would suggest working with them. Since you are heading out on an ambitious dive itinerary for new divers do what you can do de-risk the whole thing. Buying personal and critical dive gear online at your experience level is like wearing a sign on your back side that says "kick me".

In addition to doing the required pool work I suggest you cut the gear deal so you and your fiance can spend some extra time with the gear. Setting it up and getting used to it underwater.

Best wishes on the wedding, enjoy your classes and we want an (almost) full report on the honeymoon trip. :)

Pete

Back
Top Bottom