Question on Plush or Merino Lined Wesuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m thinking of replacing my trusty 7mm fullsuit. I’ve been considering one of the newer lined suits like the ones from Mares with Sapphfire plush, the Pinnacle Merinos, or the Bodyglove Exo 7mm. Has anyone tried any of these suits? If so, how was it, how cold was the water, and how long was the dive? Are any of these lined suits warm enough that I might be able to step down to a 5mm from a 7mm? I’m looking for a little more flexibility than I had in my old Bare Arctic.

Thanks,
Makai

I have a plush lined suit and a Pinnacle wool one... and several others.(ok, I have way too many wet suits, but they were on sale)

I hear from a lot of Pinnacle owners (mostly instructors that got them for almost free), how much warmer the wool is..given the thickness, given the weave, that is so much bull.

What is important in a wetsuit is:

1. Fit. Nothing works better than not having any pockets for water to fill. On that score, Pinnacle is very good, and I wear their arctic a lot.

2. The quality of the neoprene. It varies a lot, and the best suit for that I have is an Oneal.

3. Semi-dry, if the fit is good, actually works.

4. Layers. A hooded vest is far better than a hood.

5. Non-leaking seams.

I have been in 37 degree water for over an hour, with an O'neal J suit. And was not cold, but I did not go that deep.

Note: Deep is drysuit world

I have been in a Pinnacle 7/5 arctic in 70 ft at 58 F for 40 minutes and was cold half way through. That was with 7mm boots, a 7mm hooded vest and 5 mm gloves.

If you don't have a great fit, then get a liner suit (I have an Oneal polyester one), and it will work better than any lining, as it is much thicker.

I have an akona 7mm, with a hooded vest, the gloves, the boots and the liner suit that is easily comfortable to 50 F, for two dives and not feel that bad.

Hope that makes sense.

Note: Why not wear the Oneal all the time... well the amount of lead and the amount of mobility. It is warm, but only wear when I have to.

I have the 7/5 pinnacle polar and I love the suit. 49 degrees for 45 minutes and was only cold toward the end. The merino lining is also pretty good on multiple dives. The wool is exothermic and when you slip on that wet little number for the second dive, there is barely a cold shock.

Wow, somebody's a little hostile about Pinnacle :)

Personally, I love my Pinnacle Polar. It works for me - several dives from 40-55 degrees at 40-60 feet for over an hour each dive. Also used the pinnacle apex 5mm merino boot and the Neo 5 gloves on those dives. I love the boots but don't like the fit of the gloves.

Oh, and no I didn't get my suit for free, or even almost free. :wink:

Of course, YMMV.

Thanks for the excellent feedback, guys. The Akona, the Pinnacle, and the O'neil J-type are all in the running. Hard to beat the price of the Akona, though. I'm 5'10' and weigh about 215 lbs. with a bit of a gut (sadly). Any suggestions on which maker might give me the best fit?

Makai

Nothing but good things to say about my Pinnacle suits, 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm.

My merino vest by Pinnacle has been keeping me away from chills since I'm a skinny guy who can freeze to death real easy. :)

I, personally, don't have any experience with the Akona, but from what I have heard (yes this is hersey, take it for what it is worth) is that the akona's are cut for a more athletic body type, so you might want to steer away from them, but no matter what trying them on is the best bet to find the best fit.

Good luck

Wolfie2012:
Wow, somebody's a little hostile about Pinnacle :)

Personally, I love my Pinnacle Polar. It works for me - several dives from 40-55 degrees at 40-60 feet for over an hour each dive. Also used the pinnacle apex 5mm merino boot and the Neo 5 gloves on those dives. I love the boots but don't like the fit of the gloves.

Oh, and no I didn't get my suit for free, or even almost free. :wink:

Of course, YMMV.

Actually, I like Pinnacle stuff, I have their hooded vest, and their boots (boots are big, but very comfortable). But to say that a suit is 30% warmer because of a thin wool fabric liner is something past silly. It is easy to put on and feels warmer when wet. They also tend to fit better than a lot of suits (which may be the real reason people like them better). A 10 oz liner jump suit would and does work a lot better on that score.

The surface material on Pinnacle is very durable, but it is also rough. What is good for wear is bad for warmth when out of the water on a cold day). O'neal material, by comparison, dries several times faster and is much warmer out of the water, but it can get damaged very easy.

Puffer Fish:
Actually, I like Pinnacle stuff, I have their hooded vest, and their boots (boots are big, but very comfortable). But to say that a suit is 30% warmer because of a thin wool fabric liner is something past silly. It is easy to put on and feels warmer when wet. They also tend to fit better than a lot of suits (which may be the real reason people like them better). A 10 oz liner jump suit would and does work a lot better on that score.

The surface material on Pinnacle is very durable, but it is also rough. What is good for wear is bad for warmth when out of the water on a cold day). O'neal material, by comparison, dries several times faster and is much warmer out of the water, but it can get damaged very easy.

Didn't mean any disrespect, everybody has their own opinions, all good :)

I can't say one way or the other if it's 30% warmer, seems an extreme statement without seeing any specific data.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom