DUI "cave cut" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1amphibian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know basically nothing about drysuits, so I'll say that up front. With that said, I have my cavern course next month and will be taking classes up to full cave in hopefully rapid progression.

I am starting to research DUI Drysuits and like the tls350. A question I have is that on the DUI site. It says that to get the "cave cut", one has to sign a waiver as it may restrict range of motion.

1,Does anyone know exactly what the restrictions may be and if so, 2,why is it offered and 3,what are the advantages to that particular option? ie less drag from reduced material or what?

Chris:confused:

Yes, less drag - at least that's the idea. Its a custom cut suit where they make it fit a little snugger than a general custom cut. It shouldn't have any restrictions but it very well may and if you can't reach your valves, DUI won't help you.

Personally I wouldn't gamble with a $2000+ drysuit. If you want a tighter fit but without the range-of-motion issues, go with a custom cut CF200 (or a neoprene suit from another manufacturer). They can make it a little tighter since the material has some streach in it. I have one of these.. good suit, bad choice. Damn thing takes forever to dry and is heavy as hell wet.

If I had it to over again, I'd get a custom cut TLS-350 (or CLX450 if I had the money). I'm 6'5" and I don't weigh 300 lbs so custom cut was pretty much required.

I agree with Loosebits.

Go with a custom DUI drysuit in a 'standard cut'. The custom drysuit comes with a pocket on each thigh, kneepads, either rock boots or turbosoles, and other items that you would want to add to the base suit order anyway...so you're not paying some huge premium over and above what you would pay anyway. Plus, the suit is cut exactly to your measurements (which tends to eliminate a lot of loose material right there).

I've seen a guy in a dive shop standing in a brand new "cave cut" DUI drysuit who couldn't perform a valve drill because he couldn't get his arms back far enough. He was vexed. He was even more vexed when the shop owner reminded him that everyone had told him not to get the cave cut and he did it anyway. He wound up selling the suit without ever diving it.

The real question is what level of benefit are you going to receive from having a tighter drysuit on? I submit that if you're diving at a level where you'll receive substantial dividends from a slightly tighter-fitting drysuit, then it's unlikely you're just now taking a cavern course.

With respect to cost, remember this: a premium drysuit like a DUI should last you for around ten years with regular maintenance and routine replacement of wrist and neck seals, and periodic overhaul of the valve. So its acquisition cost can be amortized out over nearly a decade...while it is a large upfront investment it will offer you many years of reliable service.

I advise you to avoid the 'cave cut', and just go with a custom-measured suit like the 350 or 450.

YMMV.

Doc

I was just curious about the "Cave Cut" and after both of these answers I agree with a custom fit. Makes a lot more sense to me than risking that kind of money as that guy in the dive shop.

Quite frankly the little bit of extra drag won't bother me anyway, when I'm doing something I'm like a horse, don't really notice small bits slowing me down, I just keep going. Guess somewhere it takes it's toll but like you said, i'm not anywhere near that level of diving. At the moment I just want to find a way to stay much warmer.

Thanks for your well thought out repsonses.

Chris

Iamphibian,
Another thing to watch out for is that you need to get measured with the undersuit and/or base layer you intend to use to get the best fit. You may have considered this already but just in case you didn't it's an important factor to bear in mind.

Thanks db I'll make sure to do that, because no, I had not though about that.

Chris

One more thought: the human form, especially when wearing scuba gear is inherently non streamlined regardless of what some people might wish. slight alterations to the fit of a suit simply will not make miracles.

stevead:
One more thought: the human form, especially when wearing scuba gear is inherently non streamlined regardless of what some people might wish. slight alterations to the fit of a suit simply will not make miracles.

Yep. I always see all these agruments for certain peices of gear because its more streamlined. Always cracks me up, it's like trying to streamline a schoolbus by removing the mirrors.

Btw, to the OP, I would discourage you from your idea of a rapid progression from cavern to full cave. Take it slow and easy. I didn't take cavern & intro until I had 100 dives under my belt and I had about 60 dives at the intro level before taking apprentice and full. My instructor was quite happy that my team had so much experience compared instant cave diver (just add water.. and rock). There is a lot to see at the intro (aka basic) level, even today, a lot of my cave dives are pretty much within the intro restrictions, and the experience you gain will be invaluable for the next two classes. I couldn't imagine taking full cave while still strugling with the basics of running a reel or anti-silting techniques.

You know, alot of newly carded full cave divers immediately start taking jumps all over the place when they haven't even seen much of the main line (and a lot of intro divers just fly through the cavern to get to that main line and never bother looking at the cavern).

Anyway, take it slow and enjoy yourself.

If you look on DUI's website they reccomend taking the measurements in your street clothes as they account for the undergarments when they build the suit. Other manufactures may do thiings differently - so when in doubt double check.

The dealer will measure you (if buying from an LDS of course).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom