fold selfdonning drysuit with zipper open or closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olmic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
the subject says it all, but I'll repeat myself: When I roll my DUI CF200x for transportation, should I leave the zipper open or closed? I think I've done both, and with it closed, it looks like there could be a bit more stress on it, but ... what do you do?

Ours stay open.

Gary D.

olmic:
the subject says it all, but I'll repeat myself: When I roll my DUI CF200x for transportation, should I leave the zipper open or closed? I think I've done both, and with it closed, it looks like there could be a bit more stress on it, but ... what do you do?
I just checked with YKK, and they said that the biggest thing was to keep the zipper clean and free from dirt and salt, but that the actual number of open/close cycles wasn't a big issue.

They also said that for long term storage (more than a couple of weeks) the suits should be stored with the zipper open to prevent the neoprene coating from devloping a memory.

For short term storage during transport the zipper should be left closed to prevent any dirt/sand from getting into the inner teeth.

How's that for an answer. :cool:

Terry

so i store mine open but with the outer zipper guard closed to keep from risking pulling on it when handling.

The DUI owners manual says to leave the zipper open, but when they return mine to me after servicing it they ship it with the zipper closed. ??

theskull

Per the Bare manual, I store mine open. I do close the outer zipper. I have the Trilam HD Tech.

Yep, another vote for leaving the "Dry" zipper open, but closing the outer zipper. I keep mine this way for both short term storage and long term storage. Between dives or just overnight I leave both zippers open to help air out the suit. If the suit is visibly damp inside I usually turn it inside out overnight to dry things out.

Also, when you open the dry zipper always make sure that you open it all of the way, it will make the opening larger for you to get in or out of the suit and put less strain on the zipper.

Mark Vlahos

Okay, a slightly tangential request, but what should a (diagonal) front-entry drysuit look like as/once you roll it up? I don't know many local Baton Rouge drysuit divers (and the ones I know well dive neoprene rear-entry suits), so I've just been following the how to fold/roll description as well as I can (while being probably excessively conservative).

If any of you might be able to post a few snapshots so I can see how I should be doing it, I would be quite grateful. It'd be really nice to actually have something more than a brief description in the manual, and I trust ScubaBoard a bit more than I trust my good instructors who haven't had much first-hand experience with front-entry drysuits. (I shouldn't be doing anything wrong, but at the same time, I don't really have a very solid grip on what "right" is, here.)

I've been packing it with the dry zipper open and the overzipper closed, by the way.

http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/drysuitmanual.pdf

Page 59, or 61 depending on how your PDF viewer displays page numbers. This is a DUI manual and it has pretty good information generally about donning, doffing, and overall care.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom