Nikonos III or V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RAN

Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks

My buddy just received both a Nikonos III and V
he doesnt get wet too much these days so he's offered me choice one of his cameras nice guy eh?
which one should i grab and why, both have 35mm lenses
Thanx in advance

Hi, RAN!

If your friend will part with the V, you are going to be way ahead, except in friendship!

The V has electronics that make it much more versatile. You will not have to carry a light meter around since it is contained right in the camera. The only drawback to the V is that if you have a flood, it will cost an arm and a fin to repair your camera; in fact, it could cost nearly as much as a new V. The proud owner of the III could get away with a quick bath in fresh water and fairly cheap "overhaul" by a camera tech.

Let me warn you, though: you still need a strobe, tray and arms and a lens. That 35mm is almost useless unless you get a macro kit of some sort. Consided a 28mm or a 20mm--Nikon makes the very finest, but Sea & Sea makes excellent lenses, too, for the Nikonos. That "free" camera will not be so "free", eh?

Whatever the outcome, both of you should invest in Jim Church's latest book on Nikonos Systems. The owner of the III should consider finding a used copy of Jim and Cathy Church's earlier text which includes use of the III.

Hope this helps,

Scorpionfish

Scorpionfish's reply was perfect. The only comment I could add would be that the 28mm lens is not quite as worthless as the 35mm. If the camera comes with a 35mm, then consider macro kits first, then a 20mm or 15mm for wide angle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom