I need gear Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCDiveGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello All,

I am a new diver and I am looking to purchase some gear for several upcoming trips. I could really use some advice as to which brands might best suit my diving and budget. I plan to dive in the tropics, and hope to get AOW b/c i can't wait to try a wreck (truth be told an instructor took me on a dive to the eagle and I am hooked).

I ideally would like to spend less than $1000 and am willing to hold off on some items so I can get better items. I am looking for a BC, reg/octo, and computer. I like weight integrated BCs. I like wrist mounted computer, and am somewhat partial to the sunnto Vyper (based on a friends recommendation). I have no idea what to get for a regulator/Octo.

Should i focus on a regulator & computer and just rent my BC?? I am currently heading to Cozumel in Feb, Bonaire in April, and hopefully Puerto Rico over the summer.

Any other gear items you'd really recommend I consider? Also, where can I get the best deals on packages??

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Eric

I knowI'll probally take alot of flack for this but I'd say if you really want your own epuip. I'd go with a pkg deal from something like scuba.com. You can shop it and hit your price range pretty easy.

The problem is, being a new diver you don't know what you want. Or even bet yet if you continue diving soley rec, or maybe you want to teach or take a few tech classes or make a career doing comm. diving.

There is no doubt that rental equip in mexico is hit and miss. But if you go for the pkg deal, whos to say you may end up pursuing your ed. and go to something like tech. No one wants to breathe off a $200 reg at 180ft.

I would sit down and ascess where you think you want to go with diving. And know that if you go with the pkg deal you may end up selling it all and starting from scratch again. Maybe take advantage of renting a few times, trying different items and seeing what you like and don't like. Or check out an LDS and read some reviews of gear. It really does suck buying stuff and trading up all the time but what can one do.

Go to LeisurePro on 18th street between 5th and 6th avenues, above Adorama. You can get your Vyper, a ScubaPro Knighthawk BC, and an Apex ATX 50 regulator for ~$1200. All good quality equipment. Skip the Puerto Rico trip to make up the shortfall--the diving's not so hot.

http://www.leisurepro.com/catalog.aspx

I went through the exact same thing in May 2006 and ended up spending about $1500 on the reg/octo ($495), computer w/QD & Compass ($730), and BCD (200). I did a lot of research via ScubaBoard, Sport Diver magazine, the internet and my one local dive shop and this is what I found out.
1) Whatever equipment you buy should be purchased from an authorized dealer because warranties do matter.
2) Scuba.com has some of the most competitive pricing on, and selection of, fully warranted equipment out there. Their pre-sale service was excellent, and within a week or two I should be able to tell you more about their post-sale level of service because two items have gone back due to malfunctions. I'll keep you posted.
3) The critical pieces for your initial setup will be your mask, reg., exposure suit, fins computer/console, BCD and a dive light. The previous were all pieces that I used every day on every dive of my first two week, 40 dive, dive trip. You might also want to purchase a safety sausage (important for visibility in high boat traffic areas and something that I did use regularly, although not on every dive) and a knife (although you will hopefully never need it for recreational diving, it can be important for safety).
4) And, since you're like me and you prefer warm water the important thing to take into consideration is that a lot of that diving (any diving really) occurs in very unregulated environments. When we're underwater our equipment is our life-support. In the U.S. liability is a huge issue and shops here are more likely to maintain their equipment accordingly. Outside the U.S. you have no idea of how the equipment is maintained (if it is maintained). Not to mention that the cost of renting adds up very quickly.

The more experienced divers on ScubaBoard and at Scuba.com (instructors, tek/wreck, master, etc.) can provide you with a wealth of information - but the bottom line is that it comes down to preference AND fit...

My experience on the critical pieces is as follows:

Fortunately, the biggest equipment problem also happened to be the least expensive to deal with 9while on the trip); the mask I purchased fit great in the shop, but filled up like an aquarium below 10 ft. - that's one piece that I would test before buying if possible. My mask was a Sea Vision, it was very expensive, and now I have to sell it.

The BCD I went with the Cressi-Sub AquaPro 5R. It had all of the features that I was looking for, fit well, and was very reasonably priced ($199.95). It performed extremely well and as my skills develop, should the focus of my diving change to something where that BCD is no longer adequate, I'm not out a ton of money.

The Reg (and octo) that I went with was the Sherwood Legend ACD. It has an overbalanced/dry first stage; it performed extremely well regardless of depth (and is rated far beyond recreational boundaries). The first stage also has all the ports you might ever need. I do not know which of the new Sherwood regs replaces the Legend ACD.

The computer that I chose was the Sherwood Wisdom Air-Integrated with the Quick-Disconnect and compass. The computer is easy to use, and read while underwater. Another benefit is that its downloads provide great feedback. However, the compass is not great, but is adequate for most situations and is something that you should have (and will learn to use - and appreciate - when you do your nav' specialty... which is an important safety skill). now that I have my "hosed" computer, my next one will be an "air-integrated hose-less" (and the Wisdom will be my back-up). I did have a minor problem with the computer not downloading the first 13 dives that it has in memory (but the other 27 downloaded just fine), so it has gone back to Scuba.com to see if they can figure it out (if not, it's under warranty).

Dive lights and knife are Underwater Kinetics. The lights are the SL4 and a C8 Light Cannon. The SL4 flooded on its first dive (but has warranty), so I was glad I had the C8 for a backup (because the resort was charging $8 per day for renting the SL4). Hindsight being 20/20 I should have bought 2 SL4's because that size light is what I would have used the most, and was more than adequate for most dives (plus the batteries last a lot longer). Speaking of batteries, buy rechargeables and take the charger with you. The Remora knife is a blunt tip (for safety) titanium; I didn't need it, but if I had it would have been all that I needed.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Best~

J

If I had $1k to spend, here is what I would get. (Everything from Scubatoys.com - Larry and Joe are on this forum and offer a discount to Scubaboard members. They are also very straight up and good folks)

Computer:Aeris Atmos 2 Wrist Computer w/ Download Cable $274.95
BC: Aeris Atmos XT BCD $299.95
Reg: Aeris Atmos Pro Regulator $199.95
Octo: Mares Viper Octo $74.95
SPG: Dive Rite Compact SPG - $114.95

Total (non-discounted): $964.75

Scubatoys usually offers a 10% discount to Scubaboard members. This is not always available on sale items, but if they will offer it that brings the total down to $868.28 plus shipping (<$20 through Scubatoys).

Edit: Also, if you decide to go AI, I know of a dive shop clearancing their last two Aeris Atmos AI computers. They can't advertise the clearance price, but I am pretty sure it is in the $380 range. PM me for details (no, I do not make a cut, nor do I have any ownership or vested interest in the shop or stand to gain any financial or other benefit from this). That would put you AI for about the same price as going w/ a wrist computer + SPG

I'd call Larry or Joe at ScubaToys, and ask for their recommendation.

Mine would go something like: Zeagle Stiletto, Zeagle Envoy Deluxe Reg and Octo, and an Aeris Atmos II computer. This is a high quality travel package with a very good breathing reg, and a computer that will do everything you need for recreational diving. You will also need an SPG, and I favor just a small mini-spg.

I'm betting ScubaToys can get you into a package similar to what I've described for just over $1000. Keep in mind ScubaToys will match LeisurePro pricing, and if you buy an entire package at one shot, they offer discounts not available on individual items. ScubaToys is an authorized dealer for everything they sell, and you will get lifetime reg maintenance for a fixed price I believe if you purchase a reg from them.

Other items that you will want especially if doing drift diving are a compass (I like wrist mount), and a safety Sausage (bigger is better). IMO a safety sausage is NOT optional for OW drift diving and it should be mandatory for all OW ocean dives.

THIS link at the bottom of the page shows a package for $899 that would meet your needs. However they will substitute items if you call them up, and I personally recommend wrist mounted computers vs. a console. The Stiletto is Zeagles built from the ground up durable Travel BC, and the Brigade is a Hybrid that combines the less durable Bladder from the Escape with a Zeagle Ranger Harness. The only advantage of the Brigade is larger BC pockets, but you sacrifice rear weight pockets, the comfy lumbar pad, and a heavier and more durable bladder.

Ron,

Good choices. I avoided Zeagle because of his price range - although I definitely wouldn't hesitate to get the Stilleto (or any Zeagle product). Scott from Zeagle participates on this board a lot - that's customer service as far as I'm concerned!

It's cool to see someone from Conifer on the board. Up until a little over a year ago we lived in Evergreen! Beautiful area, but darned cold.

With regards to the safety sausage - DAN offers a nice one (w/ glow stick and signal mirror) for $54. It's always a warm fuzzy supporting DAN...

Focus on the regulator setup first. It is the one piece of equipment that you will have the longest and the one you want to be most comfortable with. Try out as many as you can before you buy. The Internet is a great place for deals and most of them claim to be under a warranty. The trick with most warranties, ScubaPro, Atomic, Genesis, Aqua Lung, etc. is that the repair has to be made by an authorized retailer for it to be covered. That is authorized by the manufacture in accordance with their policies, not the Internet stores. Aqua Lung recently put out the following notice to all of its retailers and posted it in several dive magazines:

"Retailers that offer to sell and ship Aqua Lung life support products by mail in response to mail, telephone, or Internet orders ARE NOT AUTHORIZED AQUA LUND AMERICA DEALERS. If you purchase Aqua Lung life support products by mail, telephone order or electronically, you are purchasing from a non-authorized dealer and your products will not be covered by Aqua Lung America warranties. Aqua Lung America has not authorized any exceptions to the "in-store" sales policy."

It goes on a bit further but the sentiment is the same from ScubaPro and many others. Internet retailers will help you to a point, and many do partner with actual brick and motor stores (Amazon.com does this), but this is done under the radar. Best case you get stuck with shipping your item to the brick and motor site for annual service (your cost both ways), worst case you have no warranty and get ripped for the annual. I have always been able to work with local stores and get almost the same deal after you add the shipping and ability to hold what you are purchasing and have that relationship.
:monkeydan

Back
Top Bottom