It was an experience on our C-dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debbielou

Registered
Reaction score
The weather was windy for the first 3 days we were in the Bahamas, and because we weren't certifed we couldn't go out on the deep dives. The weather didn't break totally, but calmed down some. The instructor finally said that we better get it going or we'd probably still be waiting for perfect weather. It was rocky and most felt sick a little, but in we went. My instructor took me by the hand and took me down. Or son Paul, was able to get through the current okay with the other divemaster behind him. It was so amazing down there. I wanted to look at every little thing. Our second dive was at "Shark Junction" and I was a little nervous about this one. This dive, we had a rope on the side of the boat to follow to the tie down, so then we could go down the rope. My instructor again waited for me in the water. As I was following the side rope in the waves beside the boat I was told to look down in the water. HOLY COW, I saw a 6 foot shark. I was suppose to have seen alot of silver fish..thats what he told me he was trying to show me. Funny how I spotted that Shark. All the way down equalizing I kept my eye on the shark. You know, I saw a hugh ray at the bottom before I let go of the rope then I looked for teeth in the sandy bottom. I saw that shark almost a good half of the time down there. Here is the crazy part....I found out later after the dive that there were over 30 other sharks there , but I only saw the one. We saw wrecks, and they were okay, but my head really turned when Is got to check out all the little beings down there. I wanted to see every little thing I could. Paul loved it too and most of all I'm glad we could do this as a family. Thanks for the experience Paul, and Tavi...I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!! Debbielou

... but I do have to say that I'm a little jealous... the only thing that I saw on my first OW cert. dive was the front of my hand when I held it up 1 foot in front of my face! No fish..no nuthin'..and no sharks! Dang!
And how great that you're family is diving together!
Have fun and dive safe! Casey

Welcome to the family Debbielou,

I think you got a great start - I'm in the gang that mainly saw a murky fuzzy bottom in dark cold water up here... But, boy what fun it is...

Terkel

The first OW dive to my certification was in a fresh water spring fed quarry so it had a current. It was spring and the water was hovering around 57 degrees F, for which we had to wear 6mm full suits, gloves, and hoods. I had been having problems with my bouyancy at the pool with all that neoprene on. My Instructor decided to load me down with weight because I couldn't decend without having something or someone pull me down. I quickly found, on my first dive, that once I was below about three feet of water, I was falling like-a-rock. I grabbed the anchor line to stop my descent and equalize my ears. It took me forever to equalize, and then I had to work awfully hard to keep myself from dropping like a rock.
Once I was down on the 40ft dive platform, we had to kneel on it with our fins off the side. The current then kicked in and started to push and spin! the platform. I was terrified of sliding off the platform. And to make matters worse, all the extra weight along with the compressed neoprene resulted in my weigh belt sliding down around my knees. I had to hold on for dear life while my instructor yanked my weight belt back up and secured it.
This was followed by trying to do a buddy-breath ascent in which I stepped off the platform holding on to my buddy and we both started to drop! Nothing like seeing the sign on the side of the platform warning that we shouldn't descend past the platform bottom as we fell nearly 10 feet before we both compensated with our BCs!

I'll full certified now, and went to the Keys for 8 much deserved, warm water, 6 mm free, vacation. -Starfish

Kudos, Debbielou, on your C-card!

The Bahamas is a great place to see sharks--mainly Blacktip Reefs. We have been on many dives off New Providence and have seen them often. There is place called "The Runway" where rays used to come, but the sharks have taken over and you see them there regularly. My understanding is that the dive shops started chumming there for the benefit of snorklers and the sharks are a little higher on the food chain than rays. I regret that, if true...

If you want to see more sharks--guaranteed--you can go on one of the many shark dives off the Bahamas. I think the one with the longest history is Stuart Cove's Shark Adventure. I have done it and it was great. The site has been used for such dives for 20 years and, it is my understanding, that it was a shark "hangout" long before that. Note, however, some folks think such "staged" dives are not good... Obviously I am not in complete agreement with them.

One more thing: in future if the water is too rough or the weather not to your liking you should call off the dive! Diving is potentially hazardous and there is no need to add to the hazard! Getting on a dive boat in 2-6 ft swells can be a real adventure.

And yet one more one more thing! I presume your DM told you what to do if you got sea sick underwater. If not, I will: just vomit into your reg; do not take it out of your mouth! This should be obvious, but it could be reflexive to take it out of your mouth. If you vomit into the reg, the vomitous will "shoot" out the exit port(s) and provide some fish with a meal. And you just breath in normally--if you consider breathing in when are in the process of vomiting, "normal". By the way, I speak from personal experience here! You will need to clean your reg carefully after you are on the surface!

And yet one more one more one more thing! As you get more experienced, you will find that you do not need as much weight. So monitor yourself and see if you need to add a lot of air to your BC to maintain bouyancy...if you do, take off 2 lbs before your next dive and see how that works. Slowly but surely you will find your "correct" weight.

Enjoy your diving! This is one of the world's great sports!

Joewr

LMAO Starfish. Thanks a lot! My first OW cert dive is coming up in the next 2 or 3 weeks and I too have problems trying to get the correct weight to descend. I have had horror stories running through my head similar to your real life experience.:)

Jimbo

I didn't mean to scare you! Perhaps I should have noted, more clearly, that despite my problems, I had good training and did respons as I was suppose to when my ascent partner and I did our buddy-breathing.
Also the DM was at my side helping with my weights.

What a GREAT Certification dive! I too am jealous (in a nice way) as the only thing I saw on my certification dives were: a) a sunken VW Bug and b) A catfish. I just LOVE hearing how new divers see and learn things. And to think you are fortunate enough to have the experience(s) with your loved ones along side of you...You GO GIRL! Welcome aboard!

Starfish, glad to hear it!

Actually I'm looking forward to the OW dives. Ready to see more than the sides of the pool.

Jimbo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom