Wetsuit choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stablgr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've recently moved to the USA and am looking for advice/recommendations on wetsuit manufacturers, mainly from a durability point of view. Most of my diving has been in the chilly waters around Scotland in a drysuit and I'm looking forward to some warmer diving.

I've been looking at Bare, Henderson, O'Neil and Pinnacle but would appreciate any pointers to a durable quality suit.

Well,
I have a Bare, an Oneill, and a Mares. My wife has Camaro suits. My dive buddies have Henderson, Waterproof, Excel, and Scubapro.

I honestly believe that they are all good. If one fits you better than another, and the price is right..... :wink:

I have been looking into the Pinnacle 3mm Seal to replace my Mares 3mm. The idea of a suit which is as warm as a thicker suit, without the added buoyancy, seems good.

O'neill suits are my personal preference. They fit me and they best. Bare is also a great brand and they are well made. If Bare suits fitted me as well as O'neill's do then I would probably own one. Henderson is known for it's stretchiness, but anyone I've known who has had them has said they don't hold up too well. I have tried Pinnacle but didn't like the wool lining. You're best bet would be to visit a couple dive shops in your area and try on a few different brands to see which one gives you the best fit and feels most comfortable.

stablgr:
I've recently moved to the USA and am looking for advice/recommendations on wetsuit manufacturers, mainly from a durability point of view. Most of my diving has been in the chilly waters around Scotland in a drysuit and I'm looking forward to some warmer diving.

I've been looking at Bare, Henderson, O'Neil and Pinnacle but would appreciate any pointers to a durable quality suit.

I have these wetsuits: Bare, full, 5mm & 1mm; Henderson (Hyperstretch) full, 5mm; O'neill, shorty, 2mm & SeaQuest, full 2/3mm.

My personal favorite from fit to looks is the SeaQuest. Hyperstretch - fits like it was poured over you. It does catch on stuff easiely but is my 5mm of choice. The O'Neill fits great too. I would have bought another O'Neill but they are a bit pricey. Bare... the quality of the 1mm was terrible but fine in the 5mm. Both fit too tight so if you go with Bare I would get a size larger than you think you'll need.

Get a Bare

Thanks for the feedback. Obviously I'll be trying on as many different suits as possible to get the best fit but looks like I'll be leaning towards either a Bare or an O'Neil.

That should please my daughter as I need to get one for her as well and she loves the look of the O'Neil. Girls !!!! :shakehead

The Pinnacle suits are very well made and the merino lining is great at keeping you warm. The seal is one of the best 3mm suits I have seen. We have not been able to keep them in stock they have been so popular. The new elastiprene suits with the merino lining look great and have incredible strech I can't wait to use one.

Peter
www.DPBlue.com
www.DeepBlueStore.com

I've had the same Henderson 7/5 hyperstretch for about 5 years now and am just getting ready to retire it cause the sleve is separating at the wrist. Also the neck is now separating but after 5 years and I'm not sure how many dives later?

I use suits from Akona, Henderson & Tilos. I like the fit of the different brands at different thicknesses. I would also suggest you keep your dry suit. The water in the winter, even in Texas can get quite cool. Actually, now that I have gotten a dry suit, my poor 7mm probably won't get much use this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom