Instructors dive log [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Instructors dive log

Sponsored Link

argos59
January 31st, 2007, 09:01 PM
I was told that some instructors log dives they do during check out dives during ow classes, is that true ?

String
January 31st, 2007, 09:04 PM
Some agencies have a part of the debrief where they're meant to sign students log and vice versa to get in the habit of doing it.

pir8
January 31st, 2007, 09:06 PM
I count training days as 1 dive and have students sign my book.

amascuba
January 31st, 2007, 09:07 PM
I was told that some instructors log dives they do during check out dives during ow classes, is that true ?

As a divemaster, I've always done it. Why not do it?

drbill
January 31st, 2007, 09:08 PM
I'd agree... why not. Probably more challenging dives than most they do for fun.

Thalassamania
January 31st, 2007, 09:08 PM
always

dmmike
January 31st, 2007, 09:28 PM
Always, and why. For several reasons:

First, it's a dive and I log all my dives......:D

Second, we tell the students to log thier dives... so lead by example...;)

Third, my wife has all the students sign her log and they seem to get a kick out of it...:rofl3:

Fourth, bottom time is bottom time no matter how you get it.....:11:

Scubasw
January 31st, 2007, 10:44 PM
If it counts as a dive for the student why wouldn't it count as a dive for me:confused:
Seriously I always count my morning session as a single long extended dive, no mater how many times I go up and down with groups of students. I then count the afternoon session as a second dive that day.

Walter
January 31st, 2007, 10:52 PM

Why would an instructor not log them?

Ann Marie
January 31st, 2007, 10:56 PM
Not only do I log my dives with students, I have them sign it, and I list what we saw and did on the dives. I make the students do the same in their log books. Heck, I even have some sea critter stamps that I let my students decorate their log books with (made by justleesa!).

dive_lover88
January 31st, 2007, 11:02 PM
my instructor friend does it...

Warren_L
February 1st, 2007, 12:15 AM
A dive with a student or a group of students is a dive in my log. If I take two different groups on two o/w dive #1s, I log two. One for each. A dive for a student or a group is a bonafide dive. So it is for me also.

ECR
February 1st, 2007, 12:29 AM
Absolutely! The best reason, already mentioned by several above, is that it sets a good example. And I certainly don't see it as cheapening the count. Those are working dives, with in most cases more opportunity for learning experiences than any purely recreational dive.

--ECR

shurite7
February 1st, 2007, 12:54 AM
I too log my dives with students. Why not.

When I first moved to the Islands the other instructor's use to give me a bad time for logging them.

After the hurricane, most of the staff left the island. Before many left we discussed our first dive on the island when we arrived. Most could not remember which site they dived first, but I was able to look up my logs and find out. In the end some of them had wished they log their dives just for clear memory.

Salaam

Chris

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1