Online sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ERIC.K

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think we all need another LDS vs. online thread however I went to get my online bought regs serviced and was straight forward, and honest and informed the LDS that I purchased my Legend Supreme online, I then bought my pressure gauges from him, He then informed me that he wished he could compete with the online shops but the manufactures dictate his prices and even went as far as to tell him if the regs could go on sale, it is apparently required to be an authorized dealer, since then i've bought many a fin, wetsuits, masks from him. The LDS was happy to take my money, since then he has done a great job with our regs. I've never thought it was an Online Vs LDS fight, we really should be directing this question toward manufactures.....I Think?

i will stick with online great prices and alwyas bend over backwards and barter with you bought my gear from authorized dealer 600 dollar saving per set a gear and had it in my hand 2 days no additional cost

ERIC.K:
I don't think we all need another LDS vs. online thread however I went to get my online bought regs serviced and was straight forward, and honest and informed the LDS that I purchased my Legend Supreme online, I then bought my pressure gauges from him, He then informed me that he wished he could compete with the online shops but the manufactures dictate his prices and even went as far as to tell him if the regs could go on sale, it is apparently required to be an authorized dealer, since then i've bought many a fin, wetsuits, masks from him. The LDS was happy to take my money, since then he has done a great job with our regs. I've never thought it was an Online Vs LDS fight, we really should be directing this question toward manufactures.....I Think?

All true. Manufactures dictate to the local shops what they can do. Unlike some online companies who they cannot control. Don't always blame the LDS for the pricing. The poor guy is just following his dealer agreement so he can be there to service those brands.

Skooter:
All true. Manufactures dictate to the local shops what they can do. Unlike some online companies who they cannot control. Don't always blame the LDS for the pricing. The poor guy is just following his dealer agreement so he can be there to service those brands.

There are lots of ways the LDS can work with the customer on the deal if he really wants to. My impressions is most of them don't want to.

My impression, based solely on the local LDS (I realize that is redundant), is that most LDS prey on the new divers for their profit. The LDS in my area wants full retail on gear, has ill-informed employees, and generally spends too much time trying to gouge the consumer and too little time trying to make the experience enjoyable. I'd rather buy my own compressor than support them. When they eventually do go out of business the lack of air fills will not be a problem as far as I'm concerned.

the dealer is required to sell product at a price dictated by the manufacturer BUT the dealer can sweeten the deal in other ways. ScubaToys does it as well as several other online retailers. Give bonus items for select purchases. Scuba Toys often gives mesh bags and reg bags and other items for certain purchases.
My LDS gave me a reg bag and huge travel duffle for buying a BCD, Reg and Computer.
Maybe a dealer can give an item for purchases such as: buy a reg, spg or computer and get an octo free. Or buy a BCD and get a wetsuit..buy fins and a mask and get a snorkel free, etc.
This might infringe on the dealer pricing agreement but I dont think it would. Instead it would be a way of offsetting the price differences between e-commerce dealers and store front retailers.
Also, it would provide future purchases by making happy customers with gear that has to be annually serviced. Once you drop in to have your reg serviced, maybe you buy a new hot item or replace some old gear or upgrade a piece of gear. Impulse shopping isnt limited to grocery stores, is it?

undefined:
My impression, based solely on the local LDS (I realize that is redundant), is that most LDS prey on the new divers for their profit. The LDS in my area wants full retail on gear, has ill-informed employees, and generally spends too much time trying to gouge the consumer and too little time trying to make the experience enjoyable. I'd rather buy my own compressor than support them. When they eventually do go out of business the lack of air fills will not be a problem as far as I'm concerned.
In some areas a LDS is like a magnet for local divers - very much a social event. My LDS is one such shop. Cheaper is not always better though some dive shops are dictated by what they can sell and what percentage of their stock has to be a certain brand. I believe one company out there states that if a LDS wants to sell their products, 60% of their stock has to be theirs. Perhaps LDS could form a union as such and start dictating to the manufacturers about what they are going to sell in their own stores. If the manufacturers want to keep on dictating what is sold in the stores, then perhaps they should open up their own!!! It is very much the manufacturers that are dictating things. LP do not hide what they sell on line so it can't be illegal and does the term "certified dealer" not a conflict with the principles of free enterprise? :eyebrow:

Perhaps the issue is not online vs. LDS, but which manufacturers we support? I know some companies such as ScubaPro, Atomic Aquatics, and Aqualung have very restrictive sales policies. I will not buy SP gear anymore for that reason - I refuse to support SP due to how restrictive they are in their dealer agreements. I couldn't care less about how good or bad their gear is, I hate being held hostage by a dealer or product vendor. Unfortunately, most of the LDS in my area think the sun rises and sets on ScubaPro. The fact that they sell it at full MSRP probably has something to do with that....

undefined:
Perhaps the issue is not online vs. LDS, but which manufacturers we support?

I agree, the business model that everyone dislikes so much is being sold to the LDS's by companies like Scubapro and Aqualung. I try to research the companies as well as the products when I make a purchase. As a matter of fact I recently decided to upgrade my regulator and had norrowed my search down to two regulators. In the end the business practices of one of those companies swayed my decision to purchase in the other direction. If we as consumers stop buying products from the likes of these companies, things WILL change.

John,

That's great that you made a selection based on both the product and the business that created it. I'd love to see a major change in how the manufacturers deal with LDS and online sales. Unfortunately the minute someone suggests "boycott" and "ScubaPro" in the same sentence (or Aqualung, or Atomic) all of the fanboys will come out in force threatening the end of the diving world as we know it if we don't hand over our mortgage payment and first born to our LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom