thickest wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noob2

Registered
Reaction score
hi i was wondering what is the thickest wetsuit you can buy. (this is with out layering)

I know back in the late 50's when one of my college professors dove Antarctica in a wetsuit, it made him look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Don't remember the thickness of that suit, but it was undoubtedly custom.

I've heard of suits thicker than 7mm, but don't know if they were custom.

Of course with the increasing popularity of dry suits, there probably isn't much of a market for the really thick wetsuits since they greatly limit flexibility.

Largest custom one I saw at the factory on a visit was 11mil. They said it was the thickest they ever made. I figure if it takes that much foam to keep you warm, maybe you should try a warmer clime or a dry suit. :)

They make 8mm semi-dry suits.

get a 7 mil full body, and geta hooded vest. its layered, but it will definitly keep you warm.

I remember a company in europe that made custom 11 mm suits. Being this thick, you definitely have to have custom made... There should be no to little stretch.

I have an XCEL 9.7.6 Semi dry

I have a custom wetsuit that a military diver gave to me as we are the same size and he had about four wetsuits. The suit is a farmer john and about 10 or 11 mm thick. That is one hard suit to move around in. I look like a beached whale just getting in. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom