Sorry had to post this where REAL tech divers reside>we dont brag because motivation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eramosakarst

Registered
Reaction score
eramosakarst once bubbled...
My g/f is taking her first o/w course-{Naui/acuc}and they were doing giant stride entries with full gear-her first.The "instructor" did not instruct them to fully inflate their bc's before entering.To me if you do this in deep water 1 you havent done a proper buddy check 2 you are going down in a bad way! Am I wrong to think this is just NEGLIGENT-i already know but I am looking for affirmation. BTW the " instructor" is more than willing to boast he is a "tech" diver and single out student errors by sarcastically commenting on errors in front of all students.are we not supposed to be teaching people well these days? BTW no inflation was discussed prior to entries?! The thrust of the course is diver etiquette on dive boats and reef protection>both valid but perhaps teach them do dive first! Any comments welcome

Thank you guys for being real! I cave for caves-some things I have to do to go on these dives really arent "fun" but I do it to acess the caves I want to explore! Why do people BRAG they are tech? BTW who really cares.

:doctor:
Ok I am a tech diver I do cave and trimix. I also am an instructor. I think there is a difference in correcting you students and huniliating them. I don't feel that I am any superior being by being a tech diver, just trained differently and to a higher level. The importance in teaching is to teach scuba diving not just skills. Now let me clear an issue here _ I believe that as instructors we must teach quality not quantity in short if they are not ready to dive do not give them a c- card. The instructor should have advised them to inflate the bcd. And it is a good idea to teach them to conduct a s-drill once in the water. This does not mean that they should not have done a pre-dive safety check before hitting the water. Tell your g/f to ask more questions relating to skills and theory, make some suggestions to her. Keep in mind that if you are not an instructor, she may not fully listen (you know how that relationship thing goes) You may even without saying a word set an example of how you prepare for a dive, just make sure that you are doing the right thing and never pass a fault. As instructors our job is to teach, not belittle people

I Know about the partner thing regarding{but you do something different}And i am trying my best to stay out of her course.She studies /goes on her own as she should develop her skills and find buddies on her own.I have stressed that she should respect her instructor and listen but not to be scared to ask questions.I only encounter her class when i pick her up and in the few short times I have witnessed things that bother me1 when some students took their fins off prematurely the response was "I didnt tell you to take your fins off-DONT DO ANYTHING UNLESS I TELL YOU TO 2 students being told they have to use their left hand to hold their mask on entries right hand is not allowed? there are other instances but i cannot recall at the moment.I guess one of my problems is that the "instructor" is just a shop hangaround not a qualified person-I agree that people like this can be helpful in the teaching enviroment but they should not be taking students on their own.The person in question is very vocal about being tech trained and all the students should be in awe-I generally keep my cave training quiet especially around impressionable ow students-I dont feel there is any relevance in that context.Inam not an instuctor so I am not in a position to correct actions but I felt that the entry thing was a problem-AND I still cannot see a problem with an inflated bc on the surface.I posted on another board and many people felt that inflation was encouraging bad habits-I do not feel this is the case and i notice a lot of this idea seems to come from the warmer climesIE coral protection.I do feel bouyancy control is very important and it is a learned skill-how many new divers have exellent skills{REAL DIVING}at the start.Perhaps I am spoiled in that all the instructors I trained with were purists in the sport and they imparted their love of diving in a firm but encouraging way-I died a couple of times during my cave class and my instructor analyzed this in a way that we were stricken with the gravity of our error but we were never made to feel like idiots. We were learning after all albiet at cave level you need a certain competency-in ow training you are not to be goaded due to not knowing. Thanks for the reply it made me think and i respect your honesty.BTW we also have an agreement regarding diving and relationships-I will carry her tank if she carries my tanks-a good compromise no?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom