Henderson Thermoprene Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vercingetorix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'll soon purchase a shorty 3mm wetsuit for the upcoming dive season here in Texas. To that end, I'm looking at alternatives.

Of course neoprene is the standard. I note that Henderson makes wetsuits from two additional, proprietory materials: Thermoprene and Hyperstretch. A Hyperstretch shorty costs almost $200. A Thermoprene shorty costs about $92.

Have any forum members used wetsuits from either of the materials? Do they hold body heat as well as or better than neoprene? Henderson advertises that Thermoprene stretches 75% more and Hyperstretch stretches 250% more than neoprene. So, while the fit should be better, I just curious about body heat retention.

I love Henderson for the Hyperstreth fabric.

I suspect though they are not AS warm as a comprable neoprene. A 3mil is about a 2.
I think the cells ar softer and flatten out more at depth. I use a vest with a 3 mil (so...about 4.5 total at my core)

They feel like velvet.

From a previous post,

"From everything we see, the Thermoprene is MUCH more durable than the Hyperstretch. We took a suit and gave it the treatment with a large swatch of Velcro. There was little to no damage on the suit. We have had about 20 customer try on the suit, and everyone says it goes on pretty easy. The prices is certainly right......about 38% less than Hyperstretch. At my store, we are betting pretty heavily on Thermoprene.....we just brought in about 250 of the suits in all thicknesses.

If you are interested, there will not be very many store stocking the suits from now until Christmas. I think Henderson was being careful on the inventory. Check out our link for more information on the suit and the prices. If you have any questions, feel free go call us toll-free at (800) 601-DIVE. Thanks.

Henderson Thermoprene Jumpsuits - 3MM, 5MM, and 7MM In Stock - Men's and Lady's (http://www.divesports.com/IndexPages_Brand/henderson_SUB_thermoprene.htm)

Phil Ellis"

Thanks for the info on Hyperstretch and Thermoprene. ScubaToys is my LDS (they're 15 minutes from my house; I've bought all my gear from them and just completed OW with them) Joe (owner) currently carries the full suit; I've discussed ordering the shorty. I think I'll go with the Thermoprene due cost considerations and, thanks to the above, durability.

Vercingetorix:
I'll soon purchase a shorty 3mm wetsuit for the upcoming dive season here in Texas. To that end, I'm looking at alternatives.

Of course neoprene is the standard. I note that Henderson makes wetsuits from two additional, proprietory materials: Thermoprene and Hyperstretch. A Hyperstretch shorty costs almost $200. A Thermoprene shorty costs about $92.

Have any forum members used wetsuits from either of the materials? Do they hold body heat as well as or better than neoprene? Henderson advertises that Thermoprene stretches 75% more and Hyperstretch stretches 250% more than neoprene. So, while the fit should be better, I just curious about body heat retention.

We have sold a large number of Thermoprene suits. Our customers seem to love them. While they advertise the stretch at 75%, I think it is more like 100% or 125%.

We do not have the shortys on our website yet, but if you are interested in a shorty, you can call us at (800) 601-DIVE. If you get the suit and don't like it, you can just send it back for a refund. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Back
Top Bottom