Vr3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucid

Contributor
Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a VR3 this week. I did a search and found a lot of negative things about this computer. I also noticed that most of the negative posts where old and there are very few new ones. I contacted OMS and they said that most of the issues that where found in earlier models have been ironed out. Now questions for people that own this computer;

1) Has the computer improved?
2) Are the software downloads and other upgrades that where supposed to be "out in the later part of 2002" actually being made available?
3) Have you used the computer as an oxygen analyzer?

Please give me any feedback you can.

Thanks

Nathan Swafford

I've been looking at the VR3 for awhile. According to folks at DEMA, buttom problems are still there. Also, OMS appears to stretch the facts when dealing with features that are actually in place.

Biggest problem, price apparently has skyrocketed. Almost $2000 for OC trimix version, and that doesn't include software or IR link. IMO they have priced themselves out of consideration.

Phil

I have the new VR3 ccr/trimix version.. I don't have the latest software, since I was told I'd have to pay for the software upgrade..
My biggest complaints are the buttons stick, and the display is too damn small, but I haven't had any failures yet like otherss I have heard.
I use it as a backup computer to my Explorer.. I feel its a much better computer, and the version supporting an external sensor will be out in january.. The explorer is the ONLY computer out that has the true full implementation of RGBM. I am a dealer for the explorer but that isn't biasing my feeling I use it all the time myself and am very happy with it. I woun't recomment any eqpt that I don't use myself..
If you want more info drop me a private message.

Mine has been faultless since new in July (50+ dives). CC Trimix

Pricewise they are roughly £1000 ($1500) new from the manufacturers. OMS does not have a good reputation as a dealer for them, worth buying directly form UK

Most hardware problems have been ironed out. Support is good and the computer is a dream to use. Just silicon the buttons occasionally to keep it all working

sorry to barge in to this thread. does vr3 come with proplanner ? i see that the Explorer does include the deco program.

given the comments on the user-friendliness/or lack thereof of one deco program Vs the other, which bundle would be better if you're to progress into trimix but possibly stop short of getting a CCR (irregardless of the practice of using tables, manually calculated or otherwise, to generate your dive plan)

No, proplanner is extra, although you can plan dives with multiple mixes with the VR3

Logging software, proplanner and dIR download cable are about £120 extra together ($165)

madmole once bubbled...
No, proplanner is extra, although you can plan dives with multiple mixes with the VR3

Logging software, proplanner and dIR download cable are about £120 extra together ($165)

I was quoted almost $400 for proplanner alone from OMS. I was told by Delta-p that we (assume meaning USA) could not order direct from them, and we are stuck with OMS.

Too expensive.

padiscubapro once bubbled...
The explorer is the ONLY computer out that has the true full implementation of RGBM. I am a dealer for the explorer but that isn't biasing my feeling I use it all the time myself and am very happy with it. I woun't recomment any eqpt that I don't use myself..
If you want more info drop me a private message.

My instructor and one guy in my trimix class have the Explorer and used them on some of our dives. I was not impressed and would not spend the money on one, even with the offered $400 off. The upload/download link is a piece of junk, the "dive history" is a fairly useless text file, and the planning software wasn't great either.

Phil

Mechdiver,

You stated that you wouldn't waste your money on the Explorer. Could you elaborate on the reasons why? I am interested in what you have to say as long as you have facts to back it up.
I am not that interested in the Uplink software. I have that on my computer now and have never used it. Maybe once I start diving more complex dives it will become usefull. I am not challenging you I just want more info =]

Thanks

ps= Are there older models of the explorer? If so is it possible that your trainer and friend had that?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom