Wetsuit layering for winter diving in South TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tank29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone! I was hoping to solicit opinions on a setup for diving during the winter here in TX. Now before everyone north of the Mason-Dixon laughs at the notion of winter in TX, I'm originally from IL, so I know what a real winter involves (hurray for snow!). :D

I have just ordered a Bare 7 mil Artic wetsuit and I was thinking about getting either a 5 mil or 7 mil hooded vest to round out the setup. The guy at the LDS said that would be overkill, but I'm not convinced. What does everyone think? Too much or just right? I know that exposure protection is a large part personnel, but I'd still like some opinions. My understanding of the water temps down here near Houston is that they should bottom out around 50F or so.

Thanks everyone!
Dave

If you are heading for 50F you want the Arctic and the 7mm hooded step-in shorty that goes over it. That's what I dive to 50F here in Maine, below that I go dry. FWIW I seem to be more cold tolerant than most that I dive with.

For slightly warmer diving swapping the 7mm vest for the hooded 3mm chicken vest worn underneath the Arctic is a nice next step. That's what I use for a good part of the summer when most of the dive is in the low 60s but I may find some high 50s.

Pete

I just recently dove at Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell, Texas. Temp was 47F. I wore a 7mm jacket over a 7mm farmer john. Wore a 5mm hood, gloves, and 7mm boots. I was toasty.

I dove at CSSP last weekend... 46 degrees that day, and I was wearing a 8 mm semidry... it also kept me toasty (and bouyant).

My buddy layered a 3 mm shorty with a 3 mm fullsuit, and he said it was pretty cold.

tank29:
I have just ordered a Bare 7 mil Artic wetsuit and I was thinking about getting either a 5 mil or 7 mil hooded vest to round out the setup.
I would definitely add a hooded vest. I dive a 6.5 mm farmer john setup and without the hood I was very cold in 56 df water last April. I purchased a plain skirted 3/5 hood and it was amazing how much better I felt.

I dove the 6.5 mm setup with hood last week in 49 df water and by the time the :30 dive was over I think I was the coldest I have ever been in my life. It took me 2 days to really warm up. I have oredered a 3/5 hooded vest, warmer gloves and warmer boots which I think will help me tolerate water down to around 50 df.

I tried to purchase a used dry suit, but I just cant squeeze the cash out of the till. Hopefully I will have it before next winter season.

Willie

DiverBry:
I dove at CSSP last weekend... 46 degrees that day, and I was wearing a 8 mm semidry... it also kept me toasty (and bouyant).
I hear ya on the bouyancy. I had 32 pounds of lead strapped to my waist. I still had to work to sink the first 5 or 6 feet.

spectrum:
If you are heading for 50F you want the Arctic and the 7mm hooded step-in shorty that goes over it. That's what I dive to 50F here in Maine, below that I go dry. FWIW I seem to be more cold tolerant than most that I dive with.

For slightly warmer diving swapping the 7mm vest for the hooded 3mm chicken vest worn underneath the Arctic is a nice next step. That's what I use for a good part of the summer when most of the dive is in the low 60s but I may find some high 50s.

Pete

Is the step in really that much warmer than the chicken vest? I have the Alpine. Great suit but I get water running down my neck when I turn my head or look up.

Do you get a lot of water movement in through the arm holes on the step in?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom