Wetsuit Thickness versus Temperature Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vercingetorix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've looked for, but have not found, a guide to determine which thicknesses of neoprene wetsuit are appropriate for which temperature ranges for the "average" diver. I've found bits and pieces scattered about, but not all in one place. What are the temperature ranges for:

3mm shorty
3mm full
5mm full
7mm full
7mm farmer john with step-in jacket
7mm full layered over a 3mm hooded vest

I realize the answers are dependent upon each person't tolerance to cold and the length of dive/exposure to the temperature range. I understand that core temperature is reduced with each succeeding dive unless provided with the opportunity to warm-up again.

I'm just trying to get a feel. Any other layer combo info would be appreciated.

I don't think there is one. For example, a friend of mine who lives in Yap dives a 5mm, formerly a 7mm, in the same water I dive a 2mm shorty. It really does depend on the person and also on how much you dive. It seems that you become more susceptible to the cold the more you dive, especially in tropical waters, according to the dive pros I've talked to.

Diver Dennis:
I don't think there is one.
Exactly. People vary so much as to how they take temperature. In 85F tropical water, my wife and son (who tend to be cold) use 3mm full suits... where I'm perfectly comfortable with a 1mm suit, or even a dive skin. In colder water (70F?), I'll be fine with a 5mm full suit with hood and gloves, while my son will be freezing in the same suit.

And the more dives you make the same day, the more the cold will get to you... Diver Dennis may have meant mostly the long-term effects of diving, but several dives on the same day successively rob you of warmth.

I guess the first thing to consider is whether you tend to be warm or cold compare to other people. If you're taking a course, you'll probably be wearing a rental wetsuit in the pool (3 or 5mm as a start?)... note its thickness, and the water temperature (ask your instructor if you don't have a thermometer among your gauges). You'll be in the water a comparable amount of time to a couple of sequential dives. See how you feel, and adjust from there.

You'll find that keeping good records about that sort of thing is very important -- that's one of the things your logbook will be good for in the near future.

--Marek

"You'll find that keeping good records about that sort of thing is very important -- that's one of the things your logbook will be good for in the near future.

--Marek
"

Some of the best advice, with respect to logging dives, that you will ever get . . . .

the K

Like we all know the diver, the divers condition that day and the activity level of the dive are all important factor. If you are looking for a general guideline try this.

For me 50F is the low end for 7mm with 2X on the core (full suit & hooded vest). I have taken that to 40F and would do it again but below 50 diving dry is nicer.

One thing to consider is that if you plan to be an active diver you are heading towards a wardrobe and not just one "magic suit". Get something plenty warm and diversify from there.

Pete

Being from Kentucky, with a variety of temperatures though out the year & diving mostly lakes & quarries, I have to have a variety of exposure protection. Right now, it's too cold for me to dive regardless of the exposure protection (right now it's all frozen over). In early- late spring I wear my dry suit (water temps. are 41- 65 degrees). From Late spring to mid summer I'll wear either my 2pc. 7mm or my 3mmfull with a 2mm shorty underneath (water temps. 65- 75 degrees). From Mid summer- early fall I'll wear my 3mm full, 2mm shorty or just a skin (water temps. 75- 90). If I dive deep (below 50' the water temp. stays at 42 degrees year round), I'll wear either my 2pc. 7mm or my dry suit. Early fall to mid fall I'll go back to my 2pc.7mm or the 3mmfull & 2mm shorty. Mid fall- to late fall I'll wear my 2pc. 7mm or my dry suit. Late fall- to early winter I'll dive my dry suit. I'll dive until the air &/or water temperatures gets below 35 degrees, then for me, it's too cold. This is only a guide that works for me. I've, sort of, gotten used to diving in cooler waters. A lot of what I wear depends on how many dives I'm doing that day, how deep I'm diving, what I'm doing during those dives, the air & water temperatures & generally how I feel that day. As the other have said, there's no set guide as each person is an individual with individual needs & there are a variety of diving environments & situations.

One more factor, for me, was age. Temps that were once comfortable in a fleece, now seem to need a 3mm full suit. If the temp drops much below 80 deg F, out comes the 5mm full.

Oh, yes, I have not used a shorty since I had to come up through a "herd" of mushroom jellies...

joewr

The Kraken:
"You'll find that keeping good records about that sort of thing is very important -- that's one of the things your logbook will be good for in the near future.

--Marek"

Some of the best advice, with respect to logging dives, that you will ever get . . . .

the K
Thanks. :D

That, and keeping track of how much weight worked (or didn't work) with a particular suit and water salinity combination.

--mk

joewr:
One more factor, for me, was age.
Oh, yeah, there is that. :11:

As far as the temperature variables, like several people have said, you'll probably end up eventually having -- or certainly using -- a variety of suits for various conditions. Just part of the cost of doing business.

The question now is, what kind of suit will work for you in a certain temperature; that's going to mean trial and (sometimes) error.

Next, down the road a bit, will be be what your first suit purchase should be. That's going to depend on where and when you're going to dive, and what your finances and equipment priorities are like.

--Marek

That's an interesting question...as you can see....everyone has their preferences. I use the following:

80 and up- 3 ml full suit
70-80= 5 ml full suit
anything lower= drysuit

I use a 5 ml hood and more often than not I wear it...even in warmer water temps. Even tho people make fun of me. :D I've also learned the hard way that on multiple days of diving, to wear a 5 mm, even in warmer water. I'm just a wuss girl when it comes to being cold tho.

Also, keep in mind that alot of people use the wetsuit not just for warmth but also exposure protection. I prefer a full suit to a shorty for that reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom