Empress of Ireland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blatenly stolen from the Canadian Press:

A Quebec diver has finally recieved an export permit enabling him to sell some artifacts from Canada's deadliest marine disaster.

Canadian collectors had until Dec. 19/02 to buy the collection and when none came forward , Philiipe Beaudry was granted the federal permit over the Christmas period to allow him to sell the 500 pieces in the United States. The objects, which include brass ornaments and fine china, were taken from the Empress of Ireland, which went down in 50 metres of water in teh St. Lawrence River near Rimouski, about 330 km NE of Quebec City, on May 29, 1914. More than 1,000 were killed.

An American purchaser plans to add the items to his hard hat diving museum in Florida. Beaudry, who says he spent $250,000 during 30 years of dives to recover the object. The Pointe-au-Pere museum near Rimouski said it offered Beaudry $350,000. The American sale is reported to be worth 1.5 million USD."

Wow - this really burns me.........

SS

Thought I'd bring this thread backto the top for a minute.

I'm going to dive the Empress at the end of next week. Wish me luck. I think I might be going out with a guy named Jean Pierre ?? THat's probably like saying, I'm going with "Mike", as in Mike who??? BUt I assume since Pointe Au Pere is a little hole-in-the-wall, there may be only one "Mike" in the town :)

We should be getting a dive or two on the newly sunk Nipigon. And info on depths, and a more accurate location????

This is a once in a life-time dive for me. I'm understandably a little nervous. I guess it's mostly the hype that's getting me a little worked up, and with any luck it'll pass after a dive or two.

I'd be seriously bummed if we had 10ft vis all week.

Any personal Empress experience would be greatly appreciated. Maybe some deck plans too!!!!

Hey Gilligan :), have a good trip on the Empress next weekend! Be safe on the way there too. I'm sure you'll have a blast! Trip report is expected upon your return!

-Frank

Thanks BUD!!!

I have some deck plans, and a few ideas on where I'm gonna go. This obviously depends on many factors, and may be ki-boshed on my first dive.

A diving friend of mine that has done 4 dives?? on it, gave me some good info.

Assuming I come back in one piece, and able to type, I'll give the trip report, but don't forget, I don't write like a poet, so don't expect my feelings to come across well in print!

Talk to you boys soon..............

Squidguy,
I'm jealous as can be. I will probably never get to do that dive. It is definitly a milestone dive. Wish you the best and am really looking forward to your report.
Dive Safe,
Larry

Long shot.
I am going to be in Rimouski from about 10th to 17th August.
Is there anyone who is running a charter out to the Empress or the Nipigon who has room for an extra diver.
I have my own accomadations in St. Fabien so no room required (family)
I have been wanting to go with friends but their schedules NEVER match mine.
If you have a contact or some room let me know and we can figure out how to meet up.
I have been preparing for this dive for a year - be really interesting to finally get down to the Empress and see her.
tks

Hey John, I just PM'd you, before I realized the accomodations thingy.

Send me a reply by tonight if you can, and I'll speak to the organizers either later tonight or tomorrow AM.

Getting ready for a year??? As in.........???

I just got my first picture to look at 3 days ago :)

Yeah sure, I'm prepared!!!!!

I'm sure I have NO CLUE about how close my "mental picture" of her is, compared to reality.

Uhmmm, It's BIG, right? Hole on one side (safe), squished on the other???

OK, got it.

Tehe

Back
Top Bottom