Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Piccola

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's me again gathering more info! I would like to hear from people with experience diving in cooler water temps. I live is Massachusetts and the water here is about 55-64 F during the dive season. I am told that I will need a 7mm suit. One of my local dive shops suggested a 5mm suit, yet someone else suggested the lighter weight and layering. I am swaying on the side of buying a 7mm suit feeling I can deal better with being 'hot' rather than cold. Thoughts anyone????:coffee:

Piccola:
It's me again gathering more info! I would like to hear from people with experience diving in cooler water temps. I live is Massachusetts and the water here is about 55-64 F during the dive season. I am told that I will need a 7mm suit. One of my local dive shops suggested a 5mm suit, yet someone else suggested the lighter weight and layering. I am swaying on the side of buying a 7mm suit feeling I can deal better with being 'hot' rather than cold. Thoughts anyone????:coffee:
7mil and layer. 5 mil will be fine shallow, but that's about it.

Piccola:

I agree. There is a limited range for 5mm and you may come to want one but the 7mm with 2X on the core is the staple of New England ocean diving.

If you start with a lighter suit you will never be able to keep your arms warm and that means cold hands too. Hence don't get one of those 7/5mm suits either.

I know of one shop that preaches 5mm. As you talk about it with them you get a full picture. The idea is to get divers in the water comfortably, with as little weight as possible. A lighter suit enables this. If they have to get out early because they got cold that's OK, they were diving. If they can only go from July 4th to September 15th that's OK, they were diving. It's a philosophy thing and it has its place.

7mm is not a big deal. Between the ocean and fresh water here I go from a 2mm shorty to 7mm with a chicken vest in the same day, no big deal.

By the way there is no dive season, the ocean is open year round. :)

Pete

Similar temps to what we have around here, except for shallow summer dives. I'd definitely go with a 7mm along with a hooded vest of some sort.

Has anyone tried the scubapro nova scotia wetsuit. It apparently is a semi-dry wetsuit which sounds like a keeper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom