"Bauer Oceanus" Class Compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
I’ve tried to do my homework on both the Scubaboard Archives and the net, and I've read Oxyhacker's book. If there is a Tech forum someone can recommend, I’ll do some more research there. In the mean time, maybe some of the “usual suspects” can help me fill in some gaps. Here is what I think I know:

- I am interested in a scuba-ready compressor (single phase, 220v)
- I’m leaning toward buying “new”
- It will be used with Oxyhacker’s continuous Nitrox mixer
- I don’t want to spend much over $4000
- My internet search came up with Bauer, RIX, Max-Air, and a German manufacturer named L&W
- Bauer has the most info available
- Pricing information on the net is sparse
- The smallest compressors [like the Bauer Junior II (3 Hp/3.9 SCFM)] don’t appear to have what it takes. I believe you have to baby-sit the Junior (drain it every 15 min), so it would be lousy for filling a bank. I’d like a compressor that I can hook up to one or two 250 cf tanks and go watch TV
- The next class up [like the Bauer Oceanus (5 Hp/4.9 SCFM)] appears to meet my requirements

Is the Oceanus a good choice? Are there other compressors in this class that are cheaper, or more reliable, or cost less to maintain. What have I left out?

Thanks!

I have a stack of literature here I picked up at DEMA, I'm doing some compressor research for a non-local board member.
I had a chance to speak with several of the mfgr's reps while at DEMA as well.
I'm still masticating the info, but the Bauer is assuredly a good choice because of their fondness for needle bearings as opposed to mere ball bearings.
There IS an Italian mfgr that caught my attention, their compressors are less compact, but they appeared to be nicely engineered, & at a very reasonable price. Refillable cannister filters, too.

I applaud your decision on the nitrox blender, you're using Oxyhacker's plans I take it?

Bob3 once bubbled...
I applaud your decision on the nitrox blender, you're using Oxyhacker's plans I take it?

Yes, I'm using Oxyhacker's plans.

I started off going the Partial Pressure (PP) route, but my LDS pumps Nitrox and would not let me use them for just an air top-off (not that I blame them). There is a local dive club that allows members to PP mix, but the inconvenience of loading up 8 - 10 tanks, making the one hour round-trip drive, and spending a couple of hours filling tanks, is not appealing.

If compressor supplies and maintenance run about $200 a year my "back of the envelope" calculations give me a break even point ($4000 compressor) at about 3 years. If I wanted to bail out and could sell the compressor for $2000, the break even point is closer to 18 months.

I'm looking for the downside, but I haven't found a show-stopper, yet.

I don't think you'll find a turn key new Bauer w/autodrain other than the junior for under 4k. If you decide to go the used route a Bauer is a very good choice. The Coltri/Maxair and some of the other inexpensive machines can be bought new in the price range you are looking at. Their downside is that they are not really designed for continuous duty, something you're going to spend the day doing if you are only pumping at 5 or less cfm and something that the small Bauers were actually designed to do.

I've found a list price for a Bauer Oceanus (5 Hp / 4.9 scfm*) at $4300.

The RIX Industries website lists 2 compressors that might work for me, but I don't know the price range

The RIX SA-3E (5) is 3 Hp / 3.5 scfm*
The RIX SA-6E (3-L) is 5 Hp / 5.5 scfm*

Can anyone give me ballpark figure on the RIX compressors while I try to find a dealer quote?

* fill rate from 500 to 3000 psi on an 80 cf tank

Stone once bubbled...
The RIX SA-3E (5) is 3 Hp / 3.5 scfm*
The RIX SA-6E (3-L) is 5 Hp / 5.5 scfm*
Figure 4500 for the SA-3 and 7000 for the SA-6
Unless you can score a good deal on a good used one... and that can happen... the SA-6 I bought only had 18hrs on it.

Stone once bubbled...
But now the dilema is that the Bauer Oceana appears to be more compressor than the SA-3 for about the same price.
Be sure to factor in the increased cost of filtering (not insubstantial) if you go with the oil lubed compressor and intend to continuous blend... CO is the pits!

I would advise against the SA-3... just too slow if you are going to be filling big tanks and big banks.

Just add the cost of a hyperpure fillter tower and yearly filter supply to the Bauer and then compare that figure with an SA-6.

You might want to PM Omar for some suggestions too.

I think the Oceanus was designed to be a true marine portable unit capable of rolling something like 20 or 30 degrees without sucking air into the oil pump. It's output is around 5 cfm which is ok, as long as you are not filling multi-sets of doubles. You might consider enlisting a partner on this venture, as 4k is probably going to mean you'll have to forgo a cascade system and an auto condensate drain as well as a few other necessary items to set up a nice blending system. If you thought owning a fill station would pay for itself I think you'll just have to wait and see. It mainly depends on what your time is worth or at least what others are willing to pay you for it. If you want to kick back and watch tv while the machine pumps up a cascade, you'll need to add the auto drain which may add 500-750 to the price.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom