P-Valve Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMac

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've used my drysuit, with an installed p-valve, a few times. Each time I have a hell of a time routing the hose to flow. The catather always kinks. Seems like the hose is too long.

1) Can you cut the hose to fit?

2) Any suggestions on routing?

Thanks,

If you get a good answer, it will probably win an award.

If the hose is too long, it kinks and is hard to pee. If it's too short it pulls and may come off.

If the tube diameter is too small, it's hard to pee. If it's too large and too stiff, it will try you twist your **** off.

So far my favorite is 3/8" ID latex tubing, although I did have a kink once, it's pretty reliable.

A perfect solution would be something like corrugated sump-pump hose, only 3/8" instead if 1 1/2". Unfortunately I've ever seen any.

Terry

MMac:
I've used my drysuit, with an installed p-valve, a few times. Each time I have a hell of a time routing the hose to flow. The catather always kinks. Seems like the hose is too long.

Thanks,

MMac:

Thanks,
I usually cut a little off the end of the catheter so that the hose comes a little closer to the.. ummm.. equipment - less opportunity for kinking. Basically you want the tip be be just a bit shorter than the connector.

Btw, if there is a kink, don't force it. If you're wearing widebands often the condom won't blow off but the urine will start heading the other way.. UTI's aren't fun and I know of one guy that had to go to the hospital with a 105 deg fever because of a kink.

I got certified in 1980. I had a couple of weeks of classroom as well as pool lessons. The class ended with a weekend at the ocean and a final test. I've dove with a drysuit for about 10 years. Just reciently had a p-valve installed.

Suggestion on routing your tubing.

Go to McMaster-Carr website:
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Click on the top subheading, which is fittings, pipe, tubing and hose; second sentence, last item, which is "Quick Disconnect Tube Couplings (page 174) --
http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/framewo...&WRQuickLinks=Quick+Disconnect+Tube+Couplings

You're looking at a page of quick disconnect poly couplings, male and female plugs/sockets with barbs that fit into the plastic tubing.

Find the one that fits the tubing on your P-valve. Buy about six of the little suckers, male and female halves. (You tend to leave the male part connected to the short catheter tube laying around in hotel rooms, charter boats, and/or other places even more embarrassing...) I always have one in the ziplock of caths in my drysuit bag, plus a spare in the saveadive kit...

Cut your tubing about 5-6" from the end that attaches to the catheter. Install the male plug in that short piece. Install the female locking socket on the end that runs down to the overboard discharge valve.

I don the catheter in the hotel room before leaving for the dock/charter boat. Use two tiny o-rings to hold the catheter onto the end of the tubing (in case one breaks). You can get these dinky o-rings at the dive shop, from a reg tech. Take the parts so you can figure out what size fits your P-valve tubing. Wear long shorts upon donning, or the unexpected appearance of the end of this bizarre little configuration peeking beneath your shorts may lead to interesting looks and or conversations as you board the boat.... :D

When donning your drysuit the tubing runs up inside your shorts to your waistband, and then through the bottom of the zipper in your undergarment. Weezles, for example, have a 2-way zipper in them. Many undergarments do also. Fleece sometimes doesn't, but you can cut a small slit in the fleece anyway, so who cares. Stick the male end of the tubing through the undergarment, and then plug it into the female socket at the top of your waistband. This configuration runs the tubing up from your personal plumbing through the undergarment at the base of the zipper, then down your leg to the overboard discharge valve installed into the suit. If you give yourself a few inches of leeway where the tubing clears the waistband of your shorts (or whatever you wear beneath your Weezle - if its a Speedo we don't want to know :) ) through your undergarment zipper and then down, you wind up with enough tubing to accommodate movement or stretching, but not enough to kink or allow excess tubing to block drainage. The valve not only makes donning the drysuit more comfortable for all concerned on crowded dive boats, but also prevents kinking from trying to run the tubing while donning the suit, etc. The downside is that the quick disconnect coupling constricts the tubing to a smaller diameter where it is installed, so you need to 'pee lightly' until you're sure that 'all systems are go', lest you blow off the catheter.

Works for me and the guys I dive with, but still simply MHO.

YMMV.

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom