Cardio Exercise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honey

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!! Well i've been working out now for about 3 months before I started working out I was 6'0 199 pounds now im 187-189. The thing is I don't lose weight anymore.. I don't understand why I run pretty much 5-6 days a week and stay on the tred for an hour and do about 5 miles of those 5-6 days burning 1000 calories plus I do a little bit of weight training but I cant seem to lose any fat.. I look the same as I did before I started working out but I dont understand what else I can do.. Should I give it more time? Maybe make the workout on the tred for an hour and a half or what. My family says im having a weight plateu but I dont see how I cant lose weight when I dont drink coke anymore hardly only on weekends I benge and I try to eat as healthy as possible.. Any suggestions?

Hi Honey:wink:, I'm home. (Aw c'mon...where a softball is laid up, I have to swing!)

I'm not a personal trainer, but I'm a big time gym rat that talks constantly with a few. So I may have some insight.

Is it possible you could be working too hard? There are different "heart zones" that a person can work out in, and depending on where you are, you may be burning the calories from other sources other than fat. Generally, the higher your heart rate, the more the calories come from carbs and sugars that you recently took in rather than stored body fat.

Do you have a heart rate monitor that you use? That would certainly help you train more efficiently and target what you want to achieve, be it weight loss or cardio fitness.

Honey:
Hey everyone!!! Well i've been working out now for about 3 months before I started working out I was 6'0 199 pounds now im 187-189. The thing is I don't lose weight anymore.. I don't understand why I run pretty much 5-6 days a week and stay on the tred for an hour and do about 5 miles of those 5-6 days burning 1000 calories plus I do a little bit of weight training but I cant seem to lose any fat.. I look the same as I did before I started working out but I dont understand what else I can do.. Should I give it more time? Maybe make the workout on the tred for an hour and a half or what. My family says im having a weight plateu but I dont see how I cant lose weight when I dont drink coke anymore hardly only on weekends I benge and I try to eat as healthy as possible.. Any suggestions?

How do you know you've not lost any fat?

There are many variables involved but it's possible you've reached "equilibrium" based on current diet and exercise levels. Eat less, exercise more or both but I am curious to know if 187/189 for someone who is 6 feet tall is "out of the norm".

Try bumping your BMR with divided small meals and try a bit of interval training with bursts of high heart rate alternated with the slower side of your target zone?

I am not a trainer but I hear them say that in the bike forum a lot and it seemed to work for me. All of a sudden, it nudged off, after being stuck at one wt. for a bit.

I would sprint bursts on the bike and then coast along at a moderate speed, burst again for 3-5 minutes (till I felt I would decompensate) several times a ride. A HR monitor might keep you entertained while doing this, it does me.

187 sounds fine for 6 ft, to me, especially if you have muscle. Also, maybe lifting weights will increase your muscle mass, which speeds up your metabolic rate. I think....

I say, take a detour and shake up your routine a bit. I have no idea what I am talking about....keep that in mind. :wink: But, that is what I would do.

i agree with the posters, depending on your age do 65-75%mhr and always count your macronutrients and make sure you are decreasing it slowly. ramp this down and youl notice youl start to shed the fat. eat a lot of protein, cut the carbs and drink lots and lots of water.

i've worked out every winter to loss weight and to feel better. i've done this for years.i lift weights and in the process of lossing fat i put on muscle and in doing that my muscle and fat loss catch each other. my body weight plateus at 205 lbs..
i am 6'0" tall and at 205 lbs. and 50 years, i feel good and am thin.
well maybe not thin but proportionate.
your weight will plateu, if it didn't, you would be 6'0" and 0 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom