When do you wear your drysuit?

When do you wear your drysuit?

• I prefer wearing my drysuit and use it all year unless it is uncomfortably hot.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • I prefer wearing my wetsuit and use my drysuit only when the conditions are too cold.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I have no preference between wetsuit and drysuit and wear whatever is appropriate.

Votes: 23 25.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For formal events only. Black tie and such...

Perhaps when I buy one. For me temperatures are not that cold here in SoCal year-round (worst I ever remember was 48 degrees with nothing below 50 the past two years... and that was at "extreme" depth in the summer).

Of course people have different thermal tolerances. Since I have no well-developed nervous system, cold rarely bothers me. For others they can be cold in 80 degree water.

I have noticed a lot more divers seem to be wearing drysuits here year-round. Hard for me to understand that since last summer was like an El Nino year (as high as 83 F surface reported, 79 F repeatedly), but if it makes them comfortable who am I to question it.

Have been dry for only four months. I do most of my diving in CA and MA (colder water), and plan to wear my dry suit for most all dives year-round. The 7mm is a pain. Only times I plan to wear the 7mm is when I'm hunting or when diving from a few of the really rocky sites, where the possibility of damaging the dry suit is much higher.

I figured "when diving" was too smartassed...
Anytime it gets too cold for my 3mm. I replaced my 7mm with a dry. Usualy less than 50F water in AK so it's pretty much a must. I did get to 39 in a 7mm once, and only once!
I know people here in Hawaii that dive dry. Dont know why but a few do.

I've only been wearing my dry suit for a few months. I wore it Nov. & Dec. & also for a New Years Day dive. I haven't dove since because the air temps have been too cold for my liking. I'm hoping I can get back to it in March. during the warmer months I will wear a wet suit for shallow quarry diving & the dry suit for deeper water. The quarry water temps are 42 degrees year round below 50'. I plan to switch back & forth as needed.

Well we did a four hour dive in the Devil's cave system on Megaladon CCR's two days ago in 66 degree f water. That kinda dictates a dry suit. I prefer wetsuits, but when you do long dives.............

Always in a DS and dry gloves.

The only time I'm not are when I'm lobstering. Other than that, I dive them every month of the year here in SoCal. As a photographer, I essentually don't move much when I dive. In fact, I often sit very still. And I dive big tanks or doubles, so I'm down for a long time.

And because I'm repositioning the strobes throughout a dive, I get wrist seal leaks -hence the dry gloves.

I just adjust the DS undies (or lack thereof) for the conditions. I can dive dry in 67 degree water or in 47 degree water and be perfectly comfy.

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom