Drysuit Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airstream

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have received a lot of questions regarding my recent Pinnacle Evolution 2 Front Entry Dry suit:

Keep in mind that this applies particularily to this suit, it may be applicable to all front entry suits.

I chose a front entry suit for the following reason(s):
I alsways dive with a buddy, but I want to be able to control my equipment, therefore Self-donning (front-entry) was mandatory.
I want to break the zipper not a new OW student that I am teaching, trust me I would make them feel very guilty for yanking the pull off of the tracks.
I found that it is very convienent to remove the top portion of the suit during surface intervals while leaving the suit on, this is very comfortable with the included suspenders.
If the suits floods due to the zipper not fully being closed it is my fault.

Many of you have expressed apprehension towards drysuits and express some very common concerns, let me try to dispel some of them through my experiences:
They are a great invention no matter what the water temperature.
1. Buy a drysuit!

Take a look at it and get familar with it BEFORE you jump into it! Trust me a little bit of patience here pays off big time. This works best in a cool area of the house, an 85 degree family room with a fire place burning hot can make this into a potential panic situation.
Don't put on the thermal undergarment when you try it on the first time.
NEVER open the zipper all the way. Leave about 2 inches behind the pull, this will prevent stress on the end stop of the zipper. Pull the zipper slowly at a shallow angle (almost parallel to the zipper) this will prevent upward stress on the zipper tracks.

DO NOT BE IN A HURRY TO TRIM THE SEALS!!!!!!!!!!

I was sure that I would need to take about an inch off of my neck seal. I instead opened the front of the suit, put my neck through the seal, put the rest of the suit in my lap and sat in the lazy boy for 15 minutes. Remember pull the seal down, your neck is smaller below the admas apple.At first I felt ai was being strangled. Remember this is a new sensation. After 5 minutes I adjusted very well to the fit.

SAFETY NOTE:Your suit could in fact need trimming and if you follow the aformentioned procedure with no one around you could pass out. So make sure someone that likes you is around to help in case you do pass out.

Ok now let's try on the suit. put your feet in the boots and put the suspenders on. adjust the suspenders so that the suit fits up to your crotch area.

Now put your left arm in first.
Next put your right arm in.
Adjust the wrist seals.
Get used to this feeling.

Now put your head through the neck seal.Pull the neck seal down.
Get used to this feeling.

Now zip it up!

This suit features a telescoping torso,so don't forget to tuck the waist and use the crotch strap.

Now for removal:

Unclip crotch-strap.
Unzip the suit.
Remove head.
Remove RIGHT arm.
Remove left arm.
Remove suspenders.
Remove feet.

Change the layers that you wear underneath to vary the insulation requirements of the dive. I have dove with as little as a polyproplene tshirt and nylon swin trunks. This can be slightly uncomfortably due to the squeeze of the suits material on your bare skin. You can realy start to appreciate the "squeeze" applied by 2 feet of water when you use a dry-suit.That being said use the suit inflator sparingly, less is more.

Before you jump in and buy gaiters and ankle weights, I suggest you try it without them. Remember less air is better.

If you don't get "certified" for drysuit use I at least recommend getting the text from one of the certifying agencies (the SSI book is pretty good) and read it. Think about what you would do in an emergency,before you get in the water with that new suit. Your first dive should be in a pool or other confined area with a buddy. Inform the buddy to watch you closely, and expect that you might need some help the first time.

I hope this helps. I hear of too many people that feel trapped by their suits and abandon them after one or two uses. That is a shame. This is a new feeling, and requires some modifications to your diving behaviours. Stick with it you will not regret it!

airstream:
NEVER open the zipper all the way. Leave about 2 inches behind the pull, this will prevent stress on the end stop of the zipper.

Some good tips, except for this one.

The opposite is true, since the end stops are reinforced to prevent strain on the zipper tape and teeth when the slide is pulled up against the stop.

From my DUI drysuit manual:

Caution: If the zipper is not fully open, the zipper may be damaged.

Check it out for yourself and you'll probably agree.

Examine how easy it would be to strain the zipper tape and teeth when the slide is not brought home to the stop.

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom