Shortie under neoprene drysuit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeyjoe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I use a non-crushed neoprene drysuit for all 4 seasons. I am also going diving in the Carribean for a week in July. I plan on diving in a shorty, and rather than rent one, I thought I'd buy one on sale before I go. My question is this - can I use it in the winter as an undergarment with my drysuit? Has anyone tried this? It would be nice to kill 2 birds with one stone......

You'd be better off in a simple wicking layer. The perspiration build-up would be the first problem.

The wet suit's thermal value is in the gas bubbles. Even with air added to loft a fabric garment the neoprene will be in a crushed state at depth. Besides if you are talking about diving in Vancouver BC you would want a much more significant undergarment even if it's a full 7mm neoprene drysuit.

I have heard of wetsuits being worn as undergarments but it's usually by someone with a tired suit and they wear the wet layer as a back-up.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the thoughts. I thought about the compression factor as well. I will be getting some thin, wicking undergarments. I dove in late Oct early Nov with no undergarments - I don't get cold easily - but not since. I plan to head out soon, so I'll find out soon enough how much I'll need.......

Michael

Do it all the time in a trilam drysuit.

Compression is not an issue, the wetsuit adds quite a bit of insulation even at depth. However I also have a layer between the wetsuit and the trilam so can always add air to loft that up a bit. Sweat is not an issue. Yes you will sweat if you overheat but the sweat is at body temperature and stays that way under the wetsuit until it evaporates - you will be warm until you take the wetsuit off. At that point the evaporation gets you cold in a hurry but until then not an issue at all. Surprising thing is that I need less lead if I wear the wetsuit instead of an equivilant layer of undergarment - equivilant re warmth that is. Warmer less lead - works for me. An additional benefit is that when your drysuit leaks you barely notice. A downside is that the collar for the wetsuit may interfere with your drysuit collar and cause a leak.

My suggestion is to try it and see. It costs you nothing to try it out.

Back
Top Bottom