Anybody Here Take Supplements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I know it is controversial....some supplements more than others.

Still...there is emerging science in favor of some supplements. I know it is a crap shoot to some degree, and yet many reputable physicians that might not prescribe supplements are taking them themselves. (My cardiologist at UCLA takes CoQ10 and fish oil...) My OB GYN also loads up on various supplemets.

Things I take which the jury is still "out" on...

CoQ 10
garlic caps
Pharmecuetical grade fish oil (purified) (ten years now)
Diindolylmethane (new one being looked at at MD Anderson for protective effects for breast cancer) I know, I know...it could be bad for you.
Cinnamon
L-Arginine

Glucosamine
C, E
Folic acid

among others..a list that is embarrassingly long. Anybody else have supplements they believe in enough to take several times a week?

Besides the multivitamins, I also take calcium, DHEA and sometime creatine. I was sad when Bush banned the prohormones.

CoQ10 (100mg)
Omega-3 Fish Oil (1000mg)
Hydroxycut
Saw Palmetto
Centrum vitamins

saw Palmetto! great..red tomato sauce with lots of licopene too?

which prohormones do you mean?

catherine96821:
saw Palmetto! great..red tomato sauce with lots of licopene too?

Whenever possible. I'm taking the saw palmetto because I'm getting to the age where it's time to get concerned about the prostate.

I guess donuts don't count as supplements.

I don't take any, but I do try to eat a varied diet and seem to be healthy as a horse (one bound for the glue factory that is).

Centrum and fish oil is all I take because as a USF student, it is difficult getting food that is healthy let alone traveling from Fremont to San Francisco. And heck no, I'm not going to eat anything in there, already saw the food which isn't at all healthy.

Oh, I was drinking that muscle milk, but now because my stomach isn't used to it anymore, I have throw it out from my mouth instead. I now just go make my own muscle (organic lead weight for diving) at the gym instead. :)

wow...I am impressed so may are taking fish oil.

I think if I were only allowed one supplement, that would be the one.

i have been taking glocosomine,really helps with those old abused joints. hate gettin old:(

I was brought up to eat well, don’t need no stinking vitamins. However I did a lot of reading and two things stood out for me and I (an avid pill hater) now take a very long list.
1- much of our foods are over processed – the good stuff cooked out and the whole foods like vegetables are over farmed having depleted soils, additives in the water and considerable additives in the farming process. The direction is to increase shelf life although there is considerable improvement in reducing things like hydrogenised oils. It’s becoming a challenge to read the labels small print but I buy far less processed foods than I once did. Pretty unappetizing after reading the ingredients: is it my intent to eat sugar when I think about eating this?

2- After a point we stop or slow creating things our bodies used to when younger.

I’d like to be able to claim I eat well, unfortunately it’s a struggle to eat at all. I try, luckily love fruits and vegetables.

So I take a lot for various reasons. One is that I had remarkable success with herbal or holistic remedies where nothing current tradition of medicine worked. Have a serious osteoarthritis problem and family history of hypertension and cancer.
I understand a common opinion is they are little absorbed and a waste of money, I just figure they may be helpful since I cannot grow all my own food and my version of a balanced diet is half good and half bad (love BLT’s, ham sandwiches, ginger cookies…)

So let’s see….
Calcium w/D, R-Lipoic Acid, Zinc, Biotin, Boswellia, Evening Primrose, BioAstin, Soy, Echinacea, DAME, COQ10, Garlic, Hawthorne, fish oil, flax seed oil, Forskohlil, MSM, DHEA, Soy Isoflavones, Chondroitin, Glucosamine, Ginsing, Ginkgo, Spirulina, zinc, multivitamin, B complex, Black Cohosh, Ginseng, Grape Seed, C

A former boyfriend was a real nut about foods claiming allergic reactions. I was a little worried about it at first – it was ridiculous what he wouldn’t eat. But I began doing my own experiments and had to agree with his viewpoint. I too have food allergies of a sort. Not that I go into anaphylactic shock after eating hot dogs, but notice a marked unwell feeling, irritable, just having a bad day. And it is with an amazing number of foods I liked and never considered I shouldn’t eat – like shrimp.

All I can say in my defense is I feel and function a lot better when I do take the supplements and avoid processed foods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom