Finding a leak in a Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roughwater

Contributor
Reaction score
Howdie.

I've got a leak in my drysuit. Wets my left leg about 1/2 way between my ankle and my knee down to my foot. I get a good soaking on that part of my leg and my foot. Rest of me stays dry.

It's a trilaminate DUI drysuit. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some different ways I should attempt to try and find the leak?

Thanks

Adam.

There are a few ways, 1. while in the water (preferabley a pool or shallow water) inflate the suit some & invert (since the leak is rather low on the suit). Have a buddy locate where air escapes & mark (if possible). The buddy can also help you to right yourself after the leak location is done. Or 2. On land, close off all seals With a rubber band or such & hook up the inflator hose & inflate the suit. You can then feel for air leaking past or you can even use a weak soap solution to make bubble as air escapes. Then mark the spot. Or 3. you can go into a very dark room & put a bright flaslight inside the suit & look for a light leak in the suit & mark the spot. Any of the 3 ways can work. There may be other ways to do this that others may know, but that's what I had been taught in my dry suit class.

I have a TLS350 and last year I got a leak in about the same location. I sent it back to DUI and they fixed the leak and leak tested it at no charge. I believe the leak was in the suit where the cf200 sock was joined to the trilaminate material.

If you want to fix it yourself I would turn the leg inside out; fill the tub with water; get the leg as filled with air as possible; seal the leg off (twist the material and hold tight); then submerge and look for the leak.

Good luck with your semi-dry... all dry suits become semi-dries sooner or later.

Scott

Something like Option 2 worked well for me a few years ago.
Instead of tieing off the seals, plastic bottles for the wrist seal and a large peanut butter plastic jar worked well. Soaked the outside of the suit with soapy water and inflate the suit. The pinhole was so small, I would not have found it otherwise.
The suit was sent to the manufacturer for repair and they found a second hole that was hidden in the pocket. Punctures must have occurred when the suit was folded.

Make sure the suit is totally dry and fill the leg with water.

crharnett:
Something like Option 2 worked well for me a few years ago.
Instead of tieing off the seals, plastic bottles for the wrist seal and a large peanut butter plastic jar worked well. Soaked the outside of the suit with soapy water and inflate the suit. The pinhole was so small, I would not have found it otherwise.
The suit was sent to the manufacturer for repair and they found a second hole that was hidden in the pocket. Punctures must have occurred when the suit was folded.
This is the method I use. I secure 16 oz plastic soda bottles in the cuffs and secure them with rubber bands. I use a gallon plastic jug for the neck. Inflate and seal soak with soap & water. You might find more holes than you imagine. The nice pinholes bubble pretty good, but you may also find a little small leaks where the bubbles just fizz a little bit. Mark the holes. A laundry marker may work for this, but the wet and soapy surface of the drysuit may be hard to write on. Often I just push a thumbtack through the area I want to patch as a marker. Make sure your suit has dried off well then patch in accordance with manufacturers direction.

Hi All,

Thanks for your prompt replies! Thanks for the link to the DUI repair manual! I think I'll go with Option two first - with the soda bottles and soapy water as suggested and see how I go.

With fingers crossed...

Adam.

Back
Top Bottom