Xerotherm composition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Fourth Element's Xerotherm base layer is some variant of polatec powerstretch, which I think consists of a mix of lycra spandex, polyester and nylon. I'd like to know what weight material they use and what %-mix of component materials are in it? If anyone has this undergarment, then please let me know what the label says? (I didn't see the details on their website).

I'd just like to know so I could better compare it with other polartec powerstretch undergarments.

I think Dsteding has those undergarments....May want to send him a PM

I also use them. Nice stuff ... I did have to add 6 lbs of weight over what I used with my 300G fleece Softwear undergarment ... but I'm a lot warmer.

I'm at work right now ... if the question hasn't been answered by the time I get home, I'll check the label and post it here.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks.

Also, if anyone has the size L xerotherm top and leggings then please let me know their (dry) weight so I can compare to my other size L undergarments and know whether they are more or less bulkier and thicker.

For reference, I have a Tilos 200g Polartex base layer, size L, which is 12% spandex, 56% polyester and 32% carbon fiber. It weighs 14 oz in total. I've also seen Carol's base layers recommended, which are made of 284g Polartec Powerstretch; 7% (lycra) spandex, 70% polyester and 23% nylon. I'm curious how the xerotherm compares with these two.

Floater-

I can get close on things. I have L bottoms, XL tops, combined weight is about 3.5-4 pounds (using the old weigh myself/pick up undergarment and weigh myself again trick).

Composition isn't on the tag, but I will say that I need (read, need) to add about 3-4 pounds of weight over my Viking B400. Finally breathed my double 100s down to about 1200 pounds and found myself decidedly light (I did what any good dive buddy would do, I mugged my friend for 2 pounds of lead-no rocks at the dive site).

Sorry I can't help you more.

dsteding:
Floater-

I can get close on things. I have L bottoms, XL tops, combined weight is about 3.5-4 pounds (using the old weigh myself/pick up undergarment and weigh myself again trick).

3-4 lbs? Are you talking about the Xerotherm Arctics or just the thinner Xerotherms? I was talking about the latter and I can't imagine it could weigh more than a pound or two...

Floater,
I cannot provide the details you need but with the basic Xerotherm the claim is that they are neutral - in practice I think a pound or two to start with and then after a few dives you should be able to take a pound off. I have a Xerotherm Medium BTW.

*Floater*:
3-4 lbs? Are you talking about the Xerotherm Arctics or just the thinner Xerotherms? I was talking about the latter and I can't imagine it could weigh more than a pound or two...

My bad, that is for the Arctics, not the base layer. My understanding is the base layer is the innner layer of the Arctics, so I'd agree, it is probably a pound or two.

Ahhh, I hadn't seen that. I based that statement off of briefly holding the base layer at my LDS the other day, and a couple conversations I had with some people that acted like they knew what they were talking about . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom