How Long to Get Gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lehmann108

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My father and I finished up our OW course several weeks ago and a few days afterward we went to our LDS where we got the certification and ordered our scuba gear: BC's, regulators, octo's, dive computers, tanks. We got very good gear and spent a good sum of money. The shop told us that the gear would be in in a few days. After a few days I called them and the same thing, a couple of days. Now its been a little over two weeks and some of the gear is in but most of it isn't. What's frustrating me is their total lack of communication and this constant, "in a few days." What I'd like to know, is if this is something common with dive shops? They did offer free use of rental gear, but that is not really the point. With all the competition in my neck of the woods, I'm amazed by their very casual attitude and lack of communication. I don't get it. By the way my father went in there today and asked them very directly what was up, but he just got a promise that all the gear would be there either friday or monday. I'm not holding my breath!:shakehead

Don't sweat it. It takes a while for everything to ship n etc. It took me about 3 weeks to get everything.

The reality is that most dive shops are operating on a shoestring budget. They buy equipment when they can make an order of such a magnitude that they can get a better discount, free shipping, etc. They could get most items on a next day basis if they paid premium charges. Then again, if they are behind in thier payments, they might have to wait until they can bring thier account up to date before their vendor will ship them anything. Make some noise and they may respond. Nest time, deal with a shop that is in a little better financial position.

I guess it's a bit late to suggest you just go to Divers Direct where they have a ton of gear in stock.

If you like this LDS, than work with them. If you have no reason to continue to use this LDS, than you may want to ask for a refund for the gear that you have not received, or give them a deadline. This assumes that you are not locked into this purchase. Smallish LDS's sometimes will not provide a refund, only store credit. Of course you have not taken possession of the gear, so that muddles things.

No one on this board shy of the owners or employees of the LDS you are using can really help you in this situation. You need to go in to the LDS, and discuss your options. Obviously they will want you to wait for the gear to arrive. What concerns me is that I could have gear from any number of places shipped to me in under a week from either coast, so what is the hold up? Only your LDS can answer these types of questions.

Lack o0f comunication probably indicates that they have all of the money already. Sometimes that happens they talk a good story when selling but when it comes to delivery its a different story. Like politicians campaigning then after elected they forget what they campaigned on. Good luck with your new gear.

My rule with LDS is cash and carry. If they don't have it in stock then call me when they do. If it needs to be a special order then tell me when you are placing the order and I will piggy-back mine. If your dad paid by credit card he may have some recourse by cancelling the charges.

Or just wait till Monday and see if the gear comes in. In the meantime, take them up on the free rental offer. Now, if Monday comes and still no gear, see above posts.

captndale:
The reality is that most dive shops are operating on a shoestring budget. They buy equipment when they can make an order of such a magnitude that they can get a better discount, free shipping, etc. They could get most items on a next day basis if they paid premium charges. Then again, if they are behind in thier payments, they might have to wait until they can bring thier account up to date before their vendor will ship them anything. Make some noise and they may respond. Nest time, deal with a shop that is in a little better financial position.
So you know this because you have seen the books of most dive shops or you are just surmising based on a couple who might do business that way?:no

I tried to find a post about a guy in North Miami whose wife bought him a mask for Christmas. The dive shop said it would be in around New Years and it never came. I wonder if it is the same shop.

Found it: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=174566

Often the "manufacturers" don't have the product ready to ship. Each company outsources it's production in Asia/Pacific Rim and can fail to predict demand. Catching up with backorders can sometimes take weeks so be patient. However, good suppliers generally know how far back an order should be and your LDS should be sure to ask on special orders and share that information wit you promptly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom