max layering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idiveinmud

Registered
Reaction score
hi i was wondering if somebody could tell me how many full wetsuit you wouyld be able to layer to sive in thanks if you can help

I don't understand what you are asking.

It depends on the fit. Chances are if you can layer the suits, then the suits on the outside won't fit you well without the inside suits. I used to wear a 3mm shorty under my 7/5 before I bought a hooded vest. Now I just used the hooded vest under the 7/5. The 7/5 fits me snug enough that I wouldn't try to wear my 3mm full under it. And wearing the 3mm full over it would stretch it so I couldn't wear it alone again. Neoprene has a memory. If you stretch it for too long, it will keep the larger size.

Well if i dive wet and the water is very cold 41f to 64f i wear a 7/5 Henderson Hyperstretch over a 5/3 hooded vest, with a 7mm Core warmer over the top of that. As the temp gets warmer i shed the core warmer.

Theoretically, you could layer inches of suits. The first problem would be that you'd have to buy several sizes, as the outer layers of your neoprene onion would have to be large enough to fit you and everything under them, but that's just sizing.

Of greater significance is that as you add layers, the compression of such large quantities of neoprene will begin adding up to unreasonable buoyancy changes. The more neoprene you're wearing, the greater the lift you'll need to compensate for the compression at depth. If you layer enough, you can eventually outdo the lift your BC can provide, which would mean you'd end up diving like a rock.

Basically, though, the limit for most people is two or three layers (say, 21mm core at two standard deviations out?).

I know a guy locally who layers two suits. One old stretched out on outside, and one newer one inside. He migrates new ones in as they wear out and get less warm with age. I wouldn't want more than a farmer john or a fullsuit with a core warmer (hooded vest), personally, due to the buoyancy issues mentioned above. If you need more than that, it's time to go dry.

Dry is the way indeed.. I have been diving with a 7mm semidry suit+hooded west and I have to say that dry is more comfortable and its also easier to control your bouyancy.. Not to mention how much more comfortable it is during SI or when gearing up for a 2nd dive :)

at some point you're gonna have trouble moving...

Layering two fullsuits (1 pc. jumpsuit) can be done if the sizes work out right but it's uncommon.

It's very common to have a fullsuit & Vest of some sort OR a Farmer john and Jacket. With a 7mm suit that will provide 14mm on your core. Usually your legs are working enough to be fine in 7mm. Your arms usually need the flexibility so 7mm is the most that many divers would want to wear on the arms for good mobility.

Other than that you can war all you want. The weight requirement can become huge as will the buoyancy changes with depth. Also make sure you can get out of all the layers should you need the toilet. Don't make it a puzzle.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom