Purchasing a new wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theunraveler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello

1) i am interested in purchasing a new wetsuit and i would like to know if Oceanic is a good brand to invest in?

2) i usually dive in the tropic region (pulau tioman area) but come this march i will be going Australia for studies so i would like to know should i get a 3mm or a 5 mm to keep sufficiently warm?

3) what are the pros and cons of the 3mm and 5mm wetsuit?

4) some tips and advice plz ..thank you

I would love to hear the answers to your questions too !!

I would also like more things to look for in purchasing a 7mm wetsuit. Thank-you,

Hi.

1. There are many good brands of wetsuit manufacturers out there. Oceanic is a well known brand among them.

2. A 3mm suit is likely all you need in tropical regions, though I don't know about australia.

3. The differences is just the environment they are meant for use in. a 3mm is meant for warm water where just a little warmth and exposure protection is required, where 5mm is meant for slightly cooler waters. A 5mm can also be layered with a vest and hood to make it work for even colder environments where the water may be as low as the high 50's-low 60's.

4. The most important thing to look for when buying your suit is fit. The best wetsuit won't do you much good if it is loose enough in places to let lots of water flow freely.

Try posting the question in the Australia section.... some local divers will have all the info you need.

Laura0314:
I would love to hear the answers to your questions too !!

I would also like more things to look for in purchasing a 7mm wetsuit. Thank-you,

Have a look at the pinnacle polar 7mm, or elastix. expensive but worth the money. As chappy said, dont get hooked into a name, find the one that fits u best.

However, I am a big fan of both oceanic and pinnacle

I have a 3ml and a 5ml also use a dry suit plus a couple of shorties for warm water diving. Oceanic is known world wide and a good brand.

re buying a 7ml, remember that you will need a lot more weight on your belt, I have a novice that dives with me, well, he has just completed his AOW and is diving to get experience, but he went shopping and although I advised him to get a 5ml the shop persuaded him to buy a 7ml which he now regrets due to the extra weight needed.

pwwm

I'd go with a 5mm at least. If you'll be in the water a lot your temp debt will be running high after a while. Even 82f water will sap your core temp and leave you shivering after multiple dives, multiple days. And, to echo those above- fit fit fit, and sealed seams and you'll have a good suit.

ghoom

Back
Top Bottom