Burleigh Falls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
FYI

Water temperature is dropping fast.

40-42°F on Sunday Nov 10, 2002

MIKE D

:blfish:

Thought I saw your vehicle down there Sunday PM before the rain started. Have you gotten over to check out the 'dark hole' we crossed during my AOW?

bottom_sucker once bubbled...
Thought I saw your vehicle down there Sunday PM before the rain started. Have you gotten over to check out the 'dark hole' we crossed during my AOW?

(1) Vis was stinko........(2) I was trusting Weight_for_me's compass work (3) I was trying my new BC, my old wetsuit, new mask, new "eyes". (4) Dammm it was cold.......:boom: :boom:

..lets see....cross the pipe 'till it starts to rise..head 90 degrees south and voila!...that should be the hole. Yeah..it was a bit nippy wasn't it. But then, this is Canada in November after all.
Randy...

Dives on Sat/Sun Nov. 16/17 with BB. We found temp 34 F at depth. Current continues to pickup, affecting vis (10 - 15 ft) and gas consumption. Same dive profile & gear - across the cable - 63 minutes with 3 Min. SS, increased by 300-400 PSI from Sat to Sun. Current continuing to pickup. Wearing 40 lbs and all the layers under the drysuit is a drag. Anyone want to unload any used dry gloves! I suppose MNR wouldn't be happy with us putting in a staircase entry - it is a real challenge to get out with stiff and cold gear and body. Anyone got some enviro friendly materials that we could rig up at least a rail for safer entry/exit during snowy, slippery conditions?

We're considering a one way dive from Sportsman entry to traditional Burleigh entry or vis versa before freeze over. Anyone ever done this? We're thinking of confirming distance from Sportsman to cable island first to verify how much gas and bottom time involved. Could be an interesting navigational challenge. Anyone know an optimal heading from Sportman's to island. Any underwater navigational aids along the way.

Tinman bubbled: considering a one way dive from Sportsman entry to traditional Burleigh entry.

Been there done that.
Watch out for the back eddy curents.
This time of year there is no effect by the locks opening and closing.
There is a natural flow from the falls, out into the bay, then then right from the falls. Part of the flow heads north towards the locks. This flow takes an about face up near the locks, as it meets the flow from Perry's Creek. It circles out towards the shore lines and heads back towards the falls.

Watch your compass keep heading about 150° you should run into the cable or the north falls if you follow the west shore line.

Mike D
"blfish:

Last Friday, I shot a 270 o heading from the end of the island cable to the Sportsman pier. Looks like a longer swim Sportmans to Island than Island to Burleigh cable end. I think we'll wait till the water is a wee bit warmer and can get more bottom time, and sling a 72cf stage bottle - anyone got a scooter we can borrow!

Make sure you're a good 3 meterr (10 feet) away from the cable when taking your bearing.

The cable will throw your compass off.!

Mike D

:blfish:

Good point, but in this instance I had reeled to the surface from 35 feet (when the cable begins to slope up to shore) and was battling a strong current so I had a good 60-70 feet of water between me and the cable. I'll try it again with less current sometime to be more accurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom