Glove and hood choices for Ice Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Edmonston

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all,

I am starting my Ice diving training in a couple weeks and I have a question that you northern divers can answer.

I dive a Pinnacle Evolution 2 drysuit for all my cave and wreck explorations here in Florida. I use a standard 7mm Merino drysuit hood and no gloves.

Now, what type of hood and gloves would keep me the warmest and most comfy/squishy/cozy for my Ice class?

I do not have zippered removable cuffs like the DUI suits, and my wrist/neck seals are latex, not neopreme.

Your experience with this matter will be invaluable to me not freezing my floridian @ss off.:confused:

Cheers

Mike

A zippered 7mm dry hood and 5mm gloves. Or mitts..problem with thicker gloves you loose dexterity.

Best choice is DC dry gloves, Skaana or Sitech. Ringed glove

your hood should be fine, maybe add something like hendersons ice cap if you want to protect your cheeks. as for gloves. there are endless options for dry gloves compatible with latex seals

I wear a neoprene beanie under a 7mm Harvey's drysuit hood for sub 40F diving and my ears stay toasty. If the hood catches a little air and then vents the beanie protects you from most of the water movement. My ears truly stay warm. I have not been under ice yet, but that is what i will use when the chance comes along.

Pete

Thanks guys,

So far I'm going with the Henderson hood, but my problem sometimes is that water gets to my neck right between my neck seal and where my pinnacle hood starts. I do not have a way to install a zippered hood but I would love to. So I guess I'm still looking for a good hood that is long enough to cover my giraffe neck :eyebrow: .

If you guys can give me a good make/model for the dry gloves that would be awesome. My class is in Wisconson on the 23'rd of this month so I'm really counting on you guys for this as I don't have enough time to research it.

Thanks again guys

Cheers:D

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom