punta cana diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chure

Reaction score
I have been given an opportunity to take a discounted vacation to punta cana in March. My last few vacations (Tortola, Aruba, and Grand turk) have been planned around diving. Is there adequete diving in punta cana to make the trip worthwhile? or should we look elsewhere. Has anyone been there recently and dove, i've read elsewhere that the diving was pretty poor.

I only ask, because I want to take every opportunity possible to get wet!:)

Sad to say, I'd hold out for something better if diving is important. Even at a discount, Punta Cana area scuba is bad.

Down south around La Romana is much better, although still not world-class.

Sorry.

DocVikingo

IF I were given a free trip to punta Cana I would not go Back. I went in September and really was disappointed. For the same price you can go to the Riviera Maya section of Mexico and Really enjoy the diving there. I left a thread about the diving around Punta Cana a month ago.
If you have a specific questions I would be more than glad to answer them for you.

Dectek-

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad trip.

Did you make it to Catalina Island to dive? I've read that it's about an hour and half ride to get there but worth the trip. I've heard that the diving there is fairly descent. Was there just no marine life, or just no reefs, what was there to see? Is it worth bringing down all my dive gear or just use rental equipment?

Besides the diving, how was the trip? Were the beaches nice, how were the people? The food ok, expensive? Was there other activities that you'd suggest doing?

I'm going with a group of about 10 so I'd like to tell them as much as possible. I've looked on other websites for information, but personal experience is always better.

I appreciate your time!

Yey...I went to Catilina Island and the wall was great and we also had dolphins come see us. The private bus ride was an hour and a half and then the boat was another 40 minutes.
As far as life around Punta Cana......Outside of the resort complexes there is nothing except jungle on one side and the Sea on the other. The reefs there are mostly dead....Grey..no color and little life. Good diving or bad diving..I would always like to use my own gear. Punta Cana is sort of out of the way so there is not really a town near the hotels. I hope you are staying at an All-Inclusive. Most of the locals speak Spanish and SMILE. They just nod their heads and smile. The venders that sell on the beach or are allowed one night a week at the hotels all have the last name "Cheapie-Cheapie" as in hi, me Nombre Tony Cheapie-Cheapie or Carlos Cheapie Cheapie" There is no such thing as a fast sale. Bicker back and forth until you get your best price and then they will give you another number if you buy two. Most things can be purchased for 50% of the first asking price. The WATER IS NOT SAFE TO DRINK. They tell you to not even brush your teeth with it. However I did not get sick.
I have posted about some of the activities offered in that area in another thead:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t15485/s.html
If you have any other questions just PM me or ask away in the thread.

Back
Top Bottom