My Cavern Diving escapades in Luraville Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Warning:quite long, and whipped up due to the incessent proding for the trip report :)

Just about a year ago, A friend at my dive club asked what sort of diving was I interested in. At one point in the conversation he inquired if I was interested in cave diving. My answer was a resounding NO!

Well, a year later; many things have changed… Including that comment. I found myself on my way to Luraville Florida last Thursday to take a cavern class in the middle of cave country. So much for not being interested in cave diving!

I arrived at the Dive Outpost just after 6 on Thursday evening. I got the rundown of the procedures of the shop and everything, and headed off to my room to get situated and get my equipment all put together. I sat down and finished watching the movie from the plane, and proceeded to dig around the video shelves for something related to the local cave diving. I managed to find myself a tape of some diving in the local area and settled in to watch. It was entertaining, but about 12:30 I decided to turn it off and get some sleep.

Around 1:15 AM William [my instructor] and his girlfriend Joan showed up. We chatted a bit and I mentioned the tape. I was sort of joking about it and mentioned there was some fruitcake on there singing and talking and otherwise doing things that fruitcakes do… After a bit of chuckling I was informed “That fruitcake is your instructor!” Well that set the precedence for the whole weekend; one of jokes and humorous insults! We ended up watching most of the video again, and finally fell asleep pretty late.

Friday we got up, and started working on gear modifications. At this point the jabs gained in frequency, seeing as my instructor was a heavy DIR proponent and has grand aspirations to become a GUE instructor. By the end of the weekend I was referring to him as “Pope GI IV – the next DIR messiah”.

We played with the gear for a long time, little changes here and there to try, as well as fixing a few of the problems I was having [like the frozen elbow nut in my BC inflator]. Joan finally stepped in and made us get out and actually dive!

So we headed over to Royal Springs for my open water skills dives. We started by reel and spool drills on land, going over primary and secondary tie-offs, no-vis procedures and signals, and line following. It was cool to see the changes in time between following a line [2 minutes], following a line with your eyes closed [4 minutes], and leading a buddy in no-vis when other divers have run lines across your line [6 minutes]. It really struck home the importance of being extremely safe with your air supply and your dive planning.

When we first arrived at Royal we learned from some other divers that there was a fatality over at Orange Grove. Not knowing the area I didn’t think much of the site, but it definitely added a little to my nervousness!

We finally got a chance to get in the water. First dive was just getting used to the equipment modifications, show-me drills, and fining techniques. I had let William take the bungee cord off my DiveRite wing, and that change really hit home that my wing is too big for singles diving… Every little twitch blew my trim out of whack, and without the weight belt that I’m used to in the cold New England waters, I kept ending up tipping forward! A smaller wing and heavier fins would have made a huge difference. Fining techniques went as expected… good frog kick, good helicopter turns… ok modified flutter [I hadn’t tried it before] and non-existent backwards kick [I knew that]. William seems to enjoy running S-drills, and he gets downright giddy if he notices a problem with your gear! We ran an s-drill, I put my reg back in my mouth, and immediately he was signaling out of air again. I went to hand off my reg and it got stuck behind my neck! After a split second of panic, which I thankfully managed to contain and remember to grab my alternate, I fished out the tangle. The rest of the weekend I was extremely aware of making sure my primary doesn’t fall under my secondary hose!

Second dive was underwater line drills. By this time it was night, which made the ability to open my eyes and cheat non-existent! However in actuality I really enjoyed those drills… I found that following a line with my eyes closed was the best buoyancy control I had the whole weekend! I did keep forgetting to put my hand up in front of me to feel for obstructions, and I was reminded of that with an elbow to the forehead. The elbow caused me to immediately get my arm in front of me, and six inches to the left and I would have reaped revenge for the elbow… as I caught him right in the knee.

We headed back to the Outpost for some more classwork and some dinner. Wendy had arrived when we got there and we all chatted a bit before we headed off to the classroom while Wendy and Joan graciously cooked us all up some pizzas. We finished up the night with a few more gear modifications. I also considered putting my bungee back on, and William wasn’t happy but was ok with it, however I later decided to give it another try and didn’t bother.

We got up early on Saturday. A little class work while we waited for fills and we headed off to Peacock for some diving. Wendy and Joan decided sleeping was far more enticing then serving as surface support!

We got to Orange Grove, did our site check, and started gearing up for my first cavern dive. The whole time the little voice in the back of my head was screaming “Dude… didn’t that guy get killed here yesterday???”. We did out all our plans and jumped in. The first thing I noticed was a canister light laying under the platform… probably left over from getting the body out the day before… Ok. Now I’m a little nervous!

We did our in water checks, and headed under for S-drills, of which I failed miserably due to a complete brain-freeze with my buoyancy control. We talked about it, and I got it down the next time. We headed off for our tour of the cavern. Down to the left, then turned and along the back. We got to the tunnel leading into the cave and headed down there. The cavern to that point was your typical rocky slope… but with rocks above your head as well. However the tunnel was truly beautiful, about 10 ft wide and 5 feet high, with clean limestone walls… it basically looked like swimming in a coral tunnel. Up until this point I had noticed that the springs were extremely quiet. When in the tunnel however, the thudding of the air bubbles against the ceiling made the most interesting sound… almost like a car passing overhead with the stereo too loud.

During the surface interval I had a little bit of a problem. We were debriefing when the o-ring blew on my backup second stage. After a second of looking at it, I reached up to turn off the air. My regulator was almost all the way unscrewed and the o-ring had blown because of that. The image of it happening 10 minutes previous when we were back at the sign for the cave entrance truly slammed into my head to make sure I make sure my regs are tight on their hoses during gear check!

Second dive was with me leading. Task loading was a bit much, but I survived all the little mistakes I made [tying the primary with branches above my head, silting when doing a helicopter turn, etc, etc, etc…]. This was when I learned that running a reel while carrying a light and making sure there isn’t any slack in the line with a leaky mask is a bit of a challenge!

Wendy and Joan showed up while we were gearing down, and then they headed further into the park to check out Peacock proper. We finished gearing down and headed back to the outpost for more classroom, fills, and lunch.

After lunch we headed off to Peacock I. While we were coming back from site check we heard that Peacock III had exceptional visibility, so we changed plan and headed over to Peacock III for a sight check. Sure enough William thought it looked great and we decided to dive there. One of Williams buddies was there [Anthony] and Wendy hooked up with him for a dive as well. We headed in and around. Tied off to the left side of the cavern entrance and worked our way over to the right and tied off there. We then headed back to the left and down to the signpost, then turned and headed into the tunnel for a ways. I think William chose Peacock III specifically because I hadn’t been paying close enough attention to silting when doing the drills and turns, and looking at the foot deep silt on the floor definitely ensured me to be cautious!

We turned and headed out. On the way I saw a cup sitting in the silt, and headed for it to ‘clean it up’. However after taking a closer look at how deep it was in the silt, I decided I’d skip the cave conservation that time! As we headed out of the tunnel, I noticed William’s light was gone, and I turned around to see what was up. He had decided it was time to give me an entanglement drill and I had caught him right as he started to do a helicopter turn through the line. I told him to hold and preceeded to attempt to untangle the mess that he decided to create. Not that bad, except I kept grabbing his fin while trying to get the line out of his legs, and every time I did it completely threw off his trim and buoyancy! We finished that right as Anthony and Wendy were coming down and around the signpost. We dealt with getting by their line and headed on out. Upon reaching the surface and debriefing, I was informed [a little to my surprise] that I had passed and I was now a certified cavern diver!

After a surface interval, it was time for my first post-cert cavern dive. This time it was 4 of us; William, myself, Wendy and Anthony; in that order. We headed down and made the primary tie off on the left side of the entrance. I crashed a little into the silt, which cut the vis down some, but it wasn’t bad. We headed in to the right to go check out the balcony area there. We set placements along the edge as we went, and when we got near the end of the cavern zone we hung out and checked out all the little passageways. I looked back and asked Wendy if she was OK. She looked back and asked Anthony if he was ok, and Anthony in turn headed for the ceiling with the line! I got Williams attention and decided to wait while Wendy went up to help with the entanglement. As Anthony headed for the ceiling, all the placements popped and William began reeling like crazy while I tried to help take up some of the slack.

Next thing we knew, vis was headed south and I could see Anthony’s light, Wendy’s light, and Wendy’s fins headed out. I turned to William and he signaled surface and we headed out. We were removing the secondary placement when we lost Wendy and Anthony, so William tied off and left the reel and we headed out. William went into touch contact on the ascent, which gave me a little bit of chuckle since I could see about 2 feet of the line… which isn’t the worst vis a New England diver would have seen!

We got out to find Wendy and Anthony on the surface [phew!]. While William and Anthony heatedly debriefed the dive, I found myself staring off into the woods and taking note of an extremely disturbing sight. While everyone debriefed I found myself staring in fascination at the huge vultures sitting in the trees. They were a little restless, flying back and forth between each other, as if they were waiting to see if we were going to head back in, or if they should go wait at another cavern exit!

After the debriefing finished, I asked William if we should go back down for his reel. After he inquired if I felt ok with that, I handed him my reel and we headed down. We got to the primary tie-off, and found it was mostly off. I figured we’d just place a new tie-off for my reel and follow down to his reel and retrieve it. I think William was a little spooked about the near loss of the primary tie-off, combined with the vis and my inexperience, and so he tied his line off to my reel and we headed to the surface for a little fishing [since he tied off to a stick when we were exiting]. Talk about excitement for my first post-cert dive!

To top it all off, Joan and William had truck problems on our way out. We dealt with that [with the help of another diver who had a can of Coke so we could clean some of the corrosion off the battery connectors] and headed back to the outpost for dinner. William, Joan, Anthony and Wendy headed off to get the truck fixed and get some KFC for some dinner while I took my test and filled out my dive log.

After dinner William and Anthony decided to head to Telford for a dive, and Joan and I decided to tag along to check out the site. A couple of the others from the Outpost showed up while they were gearing up. We watched them head in, go past the first sink, and the second sink. After they passed that first jump we headed back to the cars to leave… but that’s when the truck full ‘o rednecks decided to show up! After quite a bit of entertainment, we decided we were going to stick around until William and Anthony got out [especially considering the fact that Joan overheard them looking at license plates and taking special note of the Georgia plate on Anthony’s truck!]. So after about 40 minutes of watching rednecks try to run their truck into a tree, and stumble over trying to get the bottles from their ‘woman’, William and Anthony had completed their dive. We helped ‘em get their stuff out and off, and we headed back to the Outpost.

We ended the night with William glued in front of my laptop watching the DIR III video [and he wouldn’t even let me skip forward to the good part!]. After about an hour [right before the good part!] Joan made him turn it off and go to bed.

Sunday we were up early again; and headed off to Peacock I for a couple more dives. The first dive William led, and we headed over to the peanut tunnel, doused our lights, and watched as a couple divers headed off into the tunnel and around the bend. We then headed back to the secondary tie off, turned, and headed down to the pothole tunnel. I was a little uncomfortable descending down the crack to the tunnel, since the angle caused the water in my mask to make a nice coating across the view… i.e. the whole descent was blurry! We hung out down at the entrance to pothole for a bit, turned and headed out. I had some trouble with the ascent, not really knowing if I was neutral or if my tank was bumped up against the wall and that was holding me. We got out just fine, but I wonder now if it would have been easier to turn sideways and descend and ascend horizontal instead… guess I’ll have to go back and try some other time!

Wendy was there by the time we got out, and Anthony had been running late, so she teamed up with us for the second dive. This time I was leading, with Wendy in second position and William taking up 3rd. We let her know that we were doing one more drill, lost diver; one that William prefers to save until after certification is complete. We set out towards the peanut tunnel. I had a little trouble with my secondary tie-off, and I asked William for a little help, he corrected it and we headed on. I kept trying to find a decent placement on the floor, but I didn’t have much luck… I glanced back and William had noticed and found a good one for me. We got to the entrance to Peanut, and I signaled Wendy to come up and give me a little light into the tunnel [since I had my measly pistol grip]. We turned and headed back to the secondary tie off. We checked our air and times, and headed out again. I got to a place that I thought had a decent tie off point, and I looked back to tell William that I wanted to run the drill now. He had the same thought and was already heading forward to tell me. He doused his light and Wendy and I started our search… Out and back one way, out and back another way. As I returned William gestured to head a little farther into the tunnel and swam ahead. I found him with his light on a few feet away, pretending to fiddle with the fossils in the rock on the floor. I got his attention, gave him the universal dope slap, pointed to the line and told him to head out. We had a bit of a miscommunication a minute later, as he was asking turnaround, and I was concurring. I wasn’t sure if he was asking if I wanted to turn around, or if he was asking if we should turn around [part of the drill… I forgot to signal exit]. I said turn around, and we headed back to the secondary. I checked time and air, signaled exit, and we were done.

William, Joan and Wendy headed off around 3:00, and I hung out with the other divers at the Outpost for the evening. Got up the next morning, farted around for a while and finally bit the bullet and headed off to the airport for my flight home.

Overall it was an absolutely great time. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience. William and I had quickly fell into an understanding of our personal beliefs, and when things seemed to get too serious we broke it up quickly by resorting to picking on each other! However in all seriousness, William was an incredible diver, an exceptional instructor, and by far the most careful and cautious diver I have ever had the pleasure of being in the water with. The evening after they left, I was at the campfire talking with Jill Heinrich [who had a Cavern/Intro to Cave course going on] and I had to inquire how she was able to handle 6 students. I can’t imagine what the course would have been like, and how much less I probably would have gotten out of it, if there were other students to contend with for focus from the instructor.

What a great post.

I am finally going to make an attempt at Cavern cert.
It was great to get an insite from one who has just done it.
Thanks Jeff

(now I have to go to bed after reading ALL that!!) :D

I'm glad you had a pleasant experience. Hope to see you at the holes on your next trip!

Sounds like you had a good class. My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting William and Joan while diving down there last summer. Nice folks.

PS If you want to have some fun call William and tell him that after considering it you decided on the superior methode stuffing the long hose. But...hold the phone away from your ear.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
PS If you want to have some fun call William and tell him that after considering it you decided on the superior methode stuffing the long hose.

Oh... I found plenty of things...

If you want to have fun, ask him how his autographed catheter collection is coming, and if he's anywhere close to collecting enough to trade in for that Gavin :)

Thanks for the post/report. I'm hoping to take the cavern course next year (late winter/early spring). If I can get the schedule and budget to line up. :)

Jarhead

You had such great detail it made me feel like I was there with you.....oh wait I was there with you! It was great finally meeting you.

Jeff and all who visit,

Who had more fun? You decide!

Here is a copy of my report from the weekend. It was nice to meet some other members of Scubaboard. Even if they are poking at me. I have way to much fun to take any of you seriously besides...I have more Catheders than you do!

To anyone who dives with Jeff: Do me a favor and give him an OOA signal on his next dive...I have to keep my buddies sharp you know.

This is also a long one....

Thursday night our drive started at 6:45 PM leaving the CAVEless planet of Jupiter. We arrived at Bob's place in High Springs sometime just after 10 PM. We walk in and fondle the Gavin Scooters and Helios lights that are charging. There are at least 8 Al80s lining up the room filled with trimix. Bob told us about his recent cave dives and we shared our dives with SFL-DIR group. I told Bob to keep practicing his skills and someday he could make it on the SFL-DIR Team because I only dive with other team members. He still wants to know why we practice swimming
when all we really need is a scooter.

My light was fixed and they even put on new latches that have a release mechanism to keep them from opening it.

We headed north to Dive Outpost and pulled in around 1 AM to wake up Jeff (My cavern victim...err, I mean student). He is from New Hampshire, a really nice guy. He mentioned watching a video of cavern and cave diving that was on the shelf. I pushed play and saw Joan and Wendy running the reel in Orange Grove Cavern. He said there was some guy with a lot of tanks and before that a crazy cave diver singing while in the cave...It turns out he found my video. Joan laughed and said that crazy guy was going to be your instructor. We stayed up watching the video and laughing at some of the stuff from May 2001. We confiscated that video and brought it home to keep our embarrassment for
only our friends to watch and not anyone that stays at the Diveoutpost. I wonder how many people have seen it.

Friday Morning, we had a late wake up of 9 AM and got started on the class room stuff. Then went outside to set up gear. Jeff has an open mind but does not follow any particular diving style. We went through my gear and pointed out some of the key things. Then spent the next 4 hours working on his. I did pick up an AL plate and Bottom Timer while I was up there. Joan finally kicked us out to go diving. We headed to Royal Springs for our dives. A team that we met there told us about the Fatality in Orange Grove Sink. They left while the recovery was in process. We didn't get any other details than a possible Heart Attack,
the diver was medically unfit for diving and still had 1500 psi in his
tanks...none of this is confirmed.

At the Surface, we did land drills with the reel. We simulated good
conditions, no viz and no viz/gas sharing.

Dive 1: We had made many changes to the gear. This first dive was a chance to try it in shallow open water. We swam around the spring to get comfortable and noticed a large platform at the bottom of the spring with 4 cement buckets used to tie off up lines for training.(I asked around and it seems some one outside of the local instructors came down and set it up) It looks really ugly but will keep the silting down from the open water classes that are done there. Once comfortable, we did Show me drills (A Demo of all the skills while keeping a light and reel in hand).
35' for 30 mins 71F Viz 40 at surface, 100'+ at depth

Dive 2: We laid out a reel line to practice shallow water drills. By
this time the sun had set and it became a night dive. I really like
doing this with no sun because it gives us a chance to practice light communication and 75% of this dive is actually done with eyes closed following the line.
18' for 40 mins 71F Viz 40 at surface, 100'+ at depth and 6" in places that we had just passed : )

Out of the water, Joan was great surface support. We packed up and headed back to Diveoutpost were we met Wendy and had some Pizza for dinner. We finished up the classroom portion and hung out by the camp fire outside trading stories with other people that were there. We made some gear modifications and went to bed watching the video of Joan and Wendy Cavern Diving.

Sat Morning. We had a 7 AM start to beat the crowds. We headed over to Peacock Springs, Orange Grove Sink...Less our Surface Support.(ZZZZZs) We did meet Dee and John(E-DIVERS from Orlando)

Dive 3: Our plan was to do a cavern demo dive in upper Orange Grove. As soon as I jumped in I noticed a Canister light just laying there in 15' of water. I figured it was from the previous day. There was a team doing some line checking and I figured they would pick it up. We hoped in and checked out the cavern. It was beautiful. The water was Crystal Clear from top to bottom. The canister light was still there and I brought it to the surface to give to the Park Ranger.
64' for 28 mins 71F Viz 100+

Just after the dive, while floating at the surface we had a the back up reg hose start to leak. A quick shut down and inspection yielded the hand tight reg was not checked and it almost came unscrewed. The O-ring must have shredded from the movement. That would have been a very bad situation in the overhead...we got lucky. We got out of the water and started to change it when Bob came down the steps to say hello. We took a nice surface interval to have some water and snacks. A new O-ring in place and we headed back in.

Dive 4: This was a chance for Jeff to be the Team leader for the dive.
We started down and there was a team exiting. It was Dee and John. I had Jeff's Camera and it fit right in my Drysuit Pocket. It was digital and I took some snap shots and 10 second videos of Jeff during certain parts of the dive. Jeff tested my reel unjamming abilities then we practiced Primary light failure and exited.
62' for 24 mins 71F Viz 100+

We got out and packed the gear ready for our lunch break and here comes our surface support, Wendy and Joan. We headed back to Diveoutpost for lunch and fills. We looked at the pics and video clips. It was pretty nice to get that kind of feedback...you are your worst critic and video shows that.

We headed back to Peacock Springs with one extra buddy. My Cave 2 buddy, Anthony, came down to meet us from GA. We checked out Peacock 1 but got some good info about Peacock 3 from a team that had just exited.
We changed plans and went to Peacock 3.

Dive 5: This was a chance for Jeff to practice being a team member . We went in and our source was correct. The viz was great. About 80' for a place that is usually 40' or less. But he mentioned it was springing when in fact there was a slight siphon. Barely noticeable to the untrained fin : )
We practiced taking up slack on the line, Helping an entangled buddy, Dealing with a dive team that crossed our line, Helping a diver with a primary light failure and lastly out of air when in touch contact.
60' for 30 mins Temp 71 F viz 80' (Dark Walls make it look like less)

Back at the surface, I told Jeff he met all the requirements and
completed the course successfully. The rest of the dives were all for additional practice and we were on his time. The Cavern was a bit silty below but there was a passage near the ceiling that was always clear because it springs. We could check that out or end our diving day because we only had a couple of hours before the park closed and no time to go somewhere else.

Wendy and Anthony wanted to join us. A team of 4 takes more
communication and is slower to move. It is good practice for anything more than 3 people to split up in to teams of 2. We practiced communication on the surface and everyone was comfortable with the plan. We decided to go as a 4.

Team Order: William, Jeff, Wendy, Anthony
Dive 6: The bottom was silty and I used a tie off on the wall instead of the ground. I started in and the ceiling area was nice and clear as I expected. I made a secondary tie off and headed to the balcony. We checked out the spring section and then turned. We stopped and went in another direction making placements along the way to keep the line clear. We pretty much made a large U were on the other end of the cavern maybe 30' from Open Water when fun began.

I felt the tension come off the line and started to reel in and reel in and reel in. I figured a placement came off. I looked back and noticed Anthony dancing with the line. I kept reeling until there was tension. All 3 of us looking to see if he needed help but he got out of it. I kept working the reel to keep tension on it and expected the end of the line to come soon. That would have happened if all the placements and tie offs..went loose. We were clearly a short swim to open water and viz was still pretty good at this point. I made it where the line finally had some tension...good. There was at least one tie off. I turned to Jeff and gave the thumbs up and he returned it. When we look up to signal the rest of the team...I just saw a set of fins swimming
away and could not tell if there was a second diver. We started reeling back hoping to catch up with them but I still could not make out a second diver. We were now swimming across the silty cavern near the floor instead of back along the balcony with the clear water. I signaled Jeff to hold and we tied off and locked the reel to a branch below. I was not sure if the other 2 made it out and was not about to ASSUME they did. I would leave the line in place ..just in case. A quick pull and I noticed it would hold. We now went into touch contact because the viz dropped to 1' or less. We were in daylight because it was not dark but not sure if we were clear of the ceiling we continued to follow the line. Jeff was in the lead and at one point we had a lot of slack on the line we pulled on it and continued up. By this point I was expecting to reach the end of the line with nothing tied off. We made it to the primary tie off in 5' of water let go of the line and made a slow ascent. We surfaced to see one set of fins swimming away
and noticed the single tank...where was Anthony??? We saw him surface shortly back at the entry point.
25' for 13 min Temp 71 F viz 80' down to 6"

Once at the surface, We made sure everything was ok and then talked about it (more like yelled across the spring). We were happy to all be out and alive.

Anthony-Told me he got caught on the line but we were not sure if it was because of bad placements and tie offs or he just swam into it. Once he got entangled trying to get out of it must have pulled the rest of the placements and tie offs. Once he was out of it. He looked at all of facing him and gave us the ok. At that point he assumed that we were all heading out so he turned and started to come out. He said he saw Wendy and kept on exiting.

Wendy-Told me that she saw Anthony get entangled but seemed to get out of it without her needing to help him. Then she saw Anthony start to swim out and she didn't want to let him go by himself. She decided to leave Jeff and Me and start to head out. She said she saw Jeff and me coming out. Behind her.

Jeff- He thought it was cool to come out in no viz and was ready to go back in and recover our reel. I guess these NE divers are used to limited viz..but to go from 80' to 6" is a pretty bad day.

William-I Said I was not sure if everyone was out so I left the reel in place...just incase.

So....You tell me....Where did we mess up? (I'll post later our
Analysis)

Jeff wanted to come and recover the reel with me. We planned to run a reel down parallel to it and then have each of us reel in one of them. We got down 5' to the primary tie off and I notice it was barely on. I did one small pull and it all came undone. I tied of both reel lines together and ended the dive. I told Jeff we were going fishing. Having an adventurous exit, Bad Viz and now an uncertain tie off was a bit much and not worth going down to get it. I remember using a small branch and figured I could pull it up. I reel up while at the surface and felt the tension...then a quick yank to set the hook and up came the reel with the branch. That was the end of that. If trick would not have worked...I would have cut the line and come back for the reel tomorrow.

Out of the Water: Joan our surface support greeted us and heard our story. She does not like diving in Peacock 3 because it is siltier than the other places and the entry and exit is tougher. We had some car problems and the alarm kept going off. We got help from a cave diver that got out of the water. A quick cutting of the alarm siren and a jump start...we were on our way. We also discovered the car had no oil cap since the last oil change.

Back at the Diveoutpost, we left Jeff to do his Final Exam while the
rest of us made a dash to Live Oak for a parts store and some Food.
Dive 7: Anthony and me geared up for cave dive at Telford Springs. Joan and Jeff came to watch us get in but stayed to watch the show...She'll
have to give you the report on that one. We had a nice cave dive making a gap and a jump. We went through a low area and returned part of that section in touch contact. We then ended the dive and started out.
22' for 35 mins 71F Viz 60' to nothing in sections

We went to bed watching the DIR 3 Video on Jeff's Computer. I want to get a copy of that. I only saw the first portion and then the rest of the crew wanted to sleep.

Sunday: 7 AM start. We did some practice on dissimilar tanks and talked about doing a lost diver drill. We needed to get one tank filled and then we were off to Peacock Springs to dive in Peacock 1. Joan came along as surface support.

Dive 8: We were one of the first teams in and there was no other lines. I was running the reel down to the Pothole tunnel and out came some cave divers...but no line...hmmm? We made a hard left and started the other way to get out of their way. Jeff signaled my back up light was on and we stopped to fix it. Then came back to the entrance and headed towards the Peanut tunnel we were running parallel to a cave team and let them
get ahead. We stopped at the edge of the cavern and covered our lights watching the cave team go further and further in. That was cool. We then checked out the ceiling for fossils and the floor. We headed back to the entrance and the pothole tunnel was clear of divers. We dropped down, covered our lights and there was still light visible. This only happens when there is good viz. We ended the dive and started out. The cavern was crystal clear and very nice.
60'- 28 min 71F Viz 100'+

We got out for a break and met Christos. He was doing his GUE Cave class with Tamara. We also met his buddy Cathy. Wendy pulled up and wanted to join us for the dive. Anthony showed up when we were getting ready but did not join us for the dive. We geared up and went back in.

Dive 9: Jeff led this dive, Wendy was number 2 and I was 3. We started in and went down to the end of the cavern on the peanut tunnel side. As we headed out, I noticed our line crossed on top of other lines that were in place. We missed a key placement. We came back to the entrance and started back the same way this time with better placements. I gave Jeff the missing buddy signal and blocked my light. I stayed next to him while Wendy and him went through lost buddy procedures. Then I uncovered my light when they found me and took me back on the team and
we ended the dive. For a safety stop we practiced lost diver procedures when you do not have the primary line. We surfaced after a very well executed dive. Wendy mentioned she didn't think she did good but I told her that I had no feed back...I thought she did great on the whole dive.
25' for 30 mins 71F viz 100+

We packed up the car said our goodbye's and went back to Diveoutpost to settle up and pack. We made it out of there at 2:30 PM and home safely for much needed relaxation. A great diving weekend.

How was your weekend?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom