Ontario Wreck Database (GPS Co-ord?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flummox

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got a decent wreck/dive site database of GPS co-ord that they are willing to share? For mid to Southern Ontario? (Lake Ontario, Erie and Huron/georg bay?)

I realize the traditional way is to work over the shops owners and charter operators until you amass your own private collection but... there has to be some public info out there somewhere (?)

Or would that violate the pioneer "find it your own damn self" spirit?

BTW, tom's site has good info about the wrecks, but he does not give coordinates for the wrecks :wink:

Still not too many locations out there, I have hundereds of pages of the descriptions but the co-ords are harder.

Canuckdiver's suggestion of the ghostships site is great but needs some TLC and contributions from all of us! (listing the Comet and the Marsh as being in "simcoe" is a little misleading.... :) Rooser's link is good for the US side of the pond(s)

Thanks everyone!

still working on my database here, I have quite a few, but they need to be confirmed.
Hopefully that's going to be the project for next summer.
PM me if you like, and we'll co-ordinate and possibly help each other out.

If any of you need numbers for Kingston PM me for the ones you want. The cost involved with putting up moorings and maintaining them is the reason most guys won't give out GPS numbers here.
Unfortunately a very small number of "people" think that they can cut moorings, tie knots in the line or steal the fittings off the line.

Sometimes charter guys go to a dive site and a small private boat is there and refuses to allow the vessel to tie. They have the "I was here first" attitude forgetting that the "Charter Guys" are the ones who with POW that spent their time ,money and effort putting the mooring there in the first place. POW does not have a boat so all work on moorings is donated to POW by charter operaters. They also pay a "mooring fee" which pays for the line, fittings, and blocks.

So you can see why some don't want to give out GPS numbers.

If you PM me for numbers be patient I'm only on the computers weekends.

How do you position the mooring blocks on the bottom? Do you do it from a charter boat or do you get something bigger with a crane? They look pretty heavy...
Pure curiosity.. How long does it take to install a mooring line? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom