How do I clean my disgusting mouldy snorkel? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : How do I clean my disgusting mouldy snorkel?

Sponsored Link
LadyP
February 11th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Not very nice but I've managed to get my snorkel a bit on the mouldy side but not sure what to use to clean it. I know the mould removers you use in the shower are pretty fierce so don't want to use one of those. Any ideas out there as it's quite a posh snorkel so I don't want to buy a new one.

Cheers

Lady P

do it easy
February 11th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Maybe you could dunk it in a MILD bleach solution? Be sure to let it dry between dive trips. The silicone tends to yellow with age, regardless of what you do to it, so it won't stay brand new looking forever.

justleesa
February 11th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Soak it in bleach/water, maybe use one of those flexible bottle brushes to scrub a bit. Then a good water rinse should do the trick.

drdiver1952
February 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
The mild bleach solution cleaning with a bottle brush are good approaches. I would clean the snorkel first the bottle brush using a mild dishwashing detergent like Dawn. Rinse the snorkel thoroughly and then soak for 30 minutes in a solution of bleach prepared as follows 1 tbsp of 5% household bleach mixed well in per gallon of cold water. Prolonged contact with the bleach solution is necessary to kill the mold.

scubamax
February 11th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I have had similar problems with masks, being in a humid environment they never really dry out to the point that mould cannot grow..Although a lot of people say never to use bleach, because it can damage the silicone, I found that a diluted solution of softscrub with bleach (or just diluted bleach) works great.

drbill
February 11th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Know the humidity in your part of the country is a real problem. Glad I live in a dry climate. Since I don't use a snorkel while diving, mine stays showroom clean in my dive locker.

To avoid a caustic cleaner, perhaps Simple Green might work if used with a bottle brush or pulling a rag through it if that is possible. A soak in mild bleach afterwards.

CAPT HOOK
February 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM
"Any ideas out there as it's quite a posh snorkel so I don't want to buy a new one"

Come on!!!!!!!!!

Cacia
February 11th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Use the peroxide mouthwash by Crest or Listerine...it will bubble away.

This is why I use black stuff....can't see the crud!

spectrum
February 11th, 2007, 01:56 PM
On a lot of models the the flex hose will actually pop right off the upper and lower hard sections. If it's stiff warm it in hot tap water. Taking it apart might let you get in and brush it out better. The bleach solution should be the ticket. The chlorine should evaporate but if it bothers you finish with a mouthwash rinse.

My Mojave is so supple that I put zip ties on the flex hose and mouthpieces of ours. My wifes mouthpiece popped and was lost one time.

Pete

Diving Doc
February 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Weak solution of milton for me...u know the stuff they use to disinfect baby bottles

3ddiver
February 11th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Snorkels are cheap, buy a new one? :D

LadyP
February 11th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Guys what can I say? I'm overwhelmed by the responses and ideas for the cleaning of the mouldy snorkel. Thanks all! And it is posh. 50 bucks posh. Not the kind you drink cocktails out of.

spectrum
February 11th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Gee for $50 they should clean it free with the annual servicing. :)

CAPT HOOK
February 11th, 2007, 06:02 PM
$50 for a snorkel!
Hey, I got a bridge in Brooklyn ;-)

Ronald K
February 11th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Try toothpaste! I used it in the army when cleaning my water bottle. Gets rid of the plastic smell as well.

kirkryan
February 12th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Try using a large test tube cleaning brush or an aquarium filter downtube brush with your favorite cleaning material recommended in the other posts. I will not preach about anything that I am sure you have already learned about storing your gear so good luck!!

kirkryan
February 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
On the bright side of this post I have brainstormed a business idea. Want to hear it? Ok! I am moving to Bermuda and going to start a line of dive gear called...you guessed it... Posh!! I am calling the patent office right now!!!

Scuba Brian
February 12th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Do you need a partner?

anzac65
February 12th, 2007, 11:36 AM
How about denture cleaning tablets ?

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1