Dive Report - Breakwater Grand Tour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Date: 10 Feb 07
Dive Location: Breakwater Grand Tour (Wall-Barge-Metfields-wall)
Buddy(ies): Kevin D, David M, Rob R, Ben V
Bottom Time: 70 mins
Max Depth: 65
Vis: 25
Wave height: 1
Temp at depth: 55
Surface Temp: 65
Tide information: Low
Gas mix: 32%

Did a scooter dive with Kevin David and Rob. Topside conditions were pretty nasty with rain and accidents galore on the way down to Monterey. But once we got to the Breakwater the weather had cleared up and the water was flat... we almost packed it
up in favor of a better site but since we had skills to do afterward and some of the guys who haven't done this dive before we decided to stay.

The Grand tour is a pretty amazing run... It's challenging non the least from a navigation stand point... With X-Scooters you cover an amazing amount of ground(water?) in a short period of time. The road out to the barge should be considered an ovehead since it's in the boat lane and it's a long kick out there.

Anyway we started out with along the wall seeing all the usual suspects. After a false start we found the landmark and started out to the barge.... about 10 mins trigger time we hit the barge and clipped off and kicked around a bit to check out the residents. It still looks the same since the last time I saw it 6 months ago... after getting bored with that then it was off due west to the Metridium fields.... ran into the BAUE nudibranch study group who we waved hi to and circled trying not to be too disruptive (you know how skittish those nudi's can be :) ) .

We circled around "home base" and some of the other mounds then we made a bee line to the wall... stopping real quick at the "cannon" pipe to check out the "cache" we finally called it quits after 70 mins...

Dive 2 was a skills dive with OOA's bag shoots and an actual stuck drysuit inflator that made me into the Michelin man...

All in all a good day
P2100001 (Medium).JPG

P2100026 (Medium).JPG

P2100006 (Medium).JPG

P2100015 (Medium).JPG

P2100024 (Medium).JPG

So, how'd you cope with the runaway dry suit? Inquiring minds want to know . . .

It was right after descent for the skills dive... sitting in 20 FSW... felt it hiss... not too fast. rose about 5 ft Disconnected then tried to kick down and tried to vent... got vertical but too much bubble to vent...ended up rising to surface feet first... the button was "sticky" worked fine after that.... put some air in suit then disconnected for the rest of the dive

Sounds like it was a fun time. I'm glad to hear you didn't become a polaris missile and that you are alright.

Hmmm...my inflator stuck open at about 40 feet right off the Breakwall, last time we visited there. I was able to get the hose disconnected quickly, and swim down to my buddy. He grabbed ahold of me and I was able to vent with no issues. Those are the reasons we need to stay up on our drills.

Sounds like a fun day :)

Chuck Tribolet:
http://www.deepseasupply.com/page17.html and scroll down to LP Hose Release.
This widget make it a lot easier to disconnect. AWS has them.

Those work if you have clearence. My suit does not have much. It could be detrimental if it hangs up keeping you from disconnecting it. I have read of others that quit using them on the BC or wing inflators for the hang up issue.

Peter_C:
Those work if you have clearence. My suit does not have much. It could be detrimental if it hangs up keeping you from disconnecting it. I have read of others that quit using them on the BC or wing inflators for the hang up issue.
They have a notch on one side. No hangup on my BC.

BTW, I use the Apeks connector on my drysuit. Much easier to pop off than than
the BC inflator type.

I hope the weather clears up this weekend especially President's Day because I'm planning on diving on Saturday and Monday.

Chuck Tribolet:
They have a notch on one side. No hangup on my BC.

BTW, I use the Apeks connector on my drysuit. Much easier to pop off than than
the BC inflator type.

That's the one I have on my drysuit... didn't have a hard time popping it off... It just caught me off guard... that's one skill I hadn't planned on practicing that day....

I think it's my drysuit's way of telling me it needs some TLC :) It's off to the shop for some new seals and some upgrades

Back
Top Bottom