What kind of sharks have you seen?

What kind of sharks have you seen up close!

• NURSE

Votes: 136 74.7%
  • WHITE-TIPPED REEF, SILVERTIP REEF, GREY REEF, BLACK TIPPED REEF

Votes: 129 70.9%
  • SANDBAR SHARK/GREY NURSE/SNAGGLE TOOTH

Votes: 43 23.6%
  • LEMON SHARK

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • BULL SHARK / ZAMBEZI

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • TIGER SHARKS

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • OCEANIC WHITETIP, GREAT WHITE

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • MAKO

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • BLUE SHARKS

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • MEGAMOUTH,GOBLIN,HAMMERHEAD,THRESHER,WHALE,BASKING

Votes: 48 26.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it I thought it would be cool to find out which sharks people see the most often while diving - regardless of location, time of year, etc...

You left off one of the most common and listed another twice, so I edited your poll to correct this.

This poll will not give you the results you are seeking. You are not taking into account the number of sightings. If a person has seen thousands of nurse sharks and one blue, they are counted exactly the same in your poll.

Nurse Sharks, plenty of them and one Black Tip Reef Shark off of West Palm Beach on a beautiful unlimited vizability dive.

Walter once bubbled...
You left off one of the most common and listed another twice, so I edited your poll to correct this.

This poll will not give you the results you are seeking. You are not taking into account the number of sightings. If a person has seen thousands of nurse sharks and one blue, they are counted exactly the same in your poll.

Like I said - it's just for fun anyhow... something to generate a discussion. There is nothing like a good shark story! Anyhow... you are only partially correct about the poll- the poll is called an "Unweighted poll" and is designed not to specifically determine the number of sharks but the range of species of sharks that a diver might encounter. You could then further break the poll into the specific species most often seen, and classify ot by year, dive, etc... to get a better understanding... but that's all moot for my purposes.

White Tip, Black Tip, Nurse, Zebra, Bamboo, Cat, Leopard, Swell, Gray Nurse, Califrnia Gray, Horn and my absolute favorite, once: Thresher.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...
White Tip, Black Tip, Nurse, Zebra, Bamboo, Cat, Leopard, Swell, Gray Nurse, Califrnia Gray and my absolute favorite, once: Thresher.

Roak

Wow! A threasher? Where were you?

Saipan, diving in the Grotto (1974ish timeframe). Swam outside the big (left) tunnel while we were diving inside. Well lit by the sunlight, probably about 70' away.

Don't know what kind of Thresher it was, though. It still stands out in my mind as the most beautiful shark I've ever seen!

Roak

Leopard sharks, where are they?

They are quite common in the Indian Ocean, so nice, big and very quiet (I approached one at less than 10 feet).

Plus a hammerhead, my first, off Ras Mohammed, in Egypt

Back
Top Bottom