fish & coral identification ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazon.com has this one that looks pretty good
National Audubon Society Field Guide to Tropical Marine Fishes: Of the Caribbean, the Gulf of Mexico, Florida, the Bahamas, and Bermuda

:doctor: Paul Humann's "Reef Identification" set of three volumes (Fish, Creatures and Coral) is by far the most comprehensive guide to the marine life of the Caribbean.

There are other smaller and cheaper guides out there but none of them come close to this set for photos, descriptions and ease of use.

Definitely worth the investment!

CJ's.

Thanks everyone, now I know what to ask for for Christmas.

(Doc - sorry, I try to remember to do a search before posting. Thanks for the reminder!)

-DD

That thread was easy for me to find since I was among those who contributed. (wink)

I agree that is a splendid gift suggestion. Hope you receive it.

DocVikingo

A good source for identification books is http://www.seachallengers.com/ Their books are good at dealing with the common species found in different areas and are more picture heavy and less on taxonomic keys which most non-scientists do not know how to use effectively and can be very frustrating.

They have just been updated with new editions so make sure Santa gets the most recent. The Fish ID will be the 3rd Edition and the Creature and Coral ID's will be the 2nd Editions. I don't know if the CD has been updated or not.

The CD is alot of fun. Here's a link to the website for a great Fish ID Quiz based on the book.

Hi, DD!

Santa just told me that it is not too late to add to an Xmas booklist! Think about asking for "Watching Fishes, Understanding Coral Reef Fish Behavior" by Roberta and Jame Q. Wilson. While it does not have nearly as many photos as the wonderful Humann series, it does have extensive text on the growth of coral, fishes adaptation to the reef environment, etc. There is even (blush) sex in the book! How many divers know what zooxanthellae are? Or how vital they are to the growth and sustainablity of the reefs? Read this book and you will!

And what about the "Attack of the Crown of Thorns" in the Southern Hemisphere? Scientists and divers feared that these formidable coral eaters would actually destroy the Great Barrier Reef, the largest reef system in the world. It did not happen, but the saga was intriguing!

Now, if all that does not grab your fins, maybe this will: there is a whole chapter on symbiosis! Wow!

Scorpionfish (Did I mention my picture can be seen on Plate 16?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom