Anyone reccomend a good place to learn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
>>Was hoping for something a bit more than a quicky two day course, something that really covered gear with an emphasis on safety and core skills with time to develope them. I live out on the peninsula in the SF bay area, but will travel if neccesary. Any reccomendations?

Good decision.

The reality of current dive training is that you are looking at multiple courses. The best
approach is to do the Open Water training (or YMCA Open Water II, which has another
four dives, if you can find a Y instructor who does that), then about 10 easy dives with
a good mentor, then AOW, then 10 more, then Rescue.

The trick is finding a mentor. A dive club is a good posibility. So are coworkers and
friends. I was very fortunate to have a coworker mentor me through the first bit.

>>Thanks for the reply's and pm's guys, that really helps. I didn't realize there was mentoring in diving, makes sense I've been through that sort of thing before. Thanks again guys looking forward to getting started! Hopefully I'll be able to join you guys out there on some dives in the coming weeks

Z...n

Where do you live? I'm just going through ow (again), and will be going to monterey on shore and / or boat dives at least 1 day every month or two (god and job willing!). I'm considering joining a few clubs to get into a regular schedule and get to know people, but may just go right into the advanced padi class to log more dives. I get along w/ the instructor pretty well, and I'm thinking of offering an incentive to dive w/ him. The clubs I'm looking into are Nautilus Aquatics (out of the Concord dive shop) and NorCal Divers. They both look like they have some nice people and dive regularly. Keep in touch if you want.

R

I would second Mitchel Scuba, since he is closer to you :D. I run a three week course followed by a weekend in Monterey. I am pretty sure he does the same, since we are both NAUI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom