A teachable moment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rookers

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
As I sit here today in a massive knee brace contemplating how I acquired said brace, I thought I might share the story as a cautionary tale for those interested in fitness.

Last Thursday while performing 'hang cleans' in the gym, on the very last rep of the very last set, I landed and my left knee promptly gave way causing me to collapse and drop the barbell. I have performed this movement for 20+ years without issue, so it was surprising to say the least. It took about 15 minutes of sitting before I could hobble out, only to find I had blown my ACL and had a complex medial meniscus tear, a sprained MCL and some cartilege damage. I had surgery yesterday and the doctor is highly encouraged that I will make a full recovery.

I have been considering what went wrong and have come up with the following:
About 8 months ago, I hurt the knee while doing rescue training. I thought maybe a sprain or hyperextension, but the knee just never felt right afterwards. Always a bit unstable. I carried on my normal workout routine, through the peak and into the fall. I noticed it only when doing leg curls and sometimes lunges. Squatting seemed fine.
After a November dive trip, I took my normal month off from all workouts starting the first week of december. I got back into weights at the start of February after some conditioning work. I changed my routine a bit and actually did some more intense movements early in my yearly cycle. I also set a leg day followed by chest and back, just to keep things interesting.
After the initial leg day, I did the day with the hang cleans and had the incident. I think I have learned the following:
1. I need to take flexibility more seriously than ever. My January work should include not just CP conditioning, but a fair amount of Yoga/Stretching. I have always had the 'young man's' attitude about all this, but not any more.
2. I should leave the more advanced movements for the second or beyond programs of the year. This means hang cleans, power cleans, repetition jerks, all dynamic movements with weight.
3. I should have listened to my knee earlier and seen the orthopaedist. Might have been the same surgery, but it would have been worth it.

Overall, this could be simplified to a case of 'testosterone poisoning', but I really needed to understand why. Especially since it will be 60-90days before I am back in my doubles again...

Knee healing well. Tomorrow I can change my dressing and shower. I have about 96deg of movement according to the machine. Can't wait to start peddling next week.

Made 120 deg in the torture machine last night. I can probably start peddling thursday. The pain has been constant and sometimes extreme, but I am way ahead of the recovery curve at the moment, so I'll embrace the pain and keep going.

Was able to peddle last night, will start doing 30min/day to start and then go up next week. I start Physical Therapy next week also. No diving for another 5 weeks, though. The doctor was very impressed with my progress so I am looking forward to a complete/speedy recovery. I have already penciled in some 5k races to run in June.

Peddled hard for 30 yesterday and I paid the piper. My knee was pretty painful the rest of the day and so I will change my routine a bit for a while. I will peddle 15 minutes/twice daily and then ice down the knee immediately afterwards for a while. I can tell I am going to be frustrated by all this, as it will take longer than I like to get back to 'normal'. I guess I can use it to learn some patience.

In the polarcare machine after the second peddle of the day. Got 20 minutes this morning and 15 this afternoon. I feel like I can do a lot more, but I bet it would hurt like hell later. If the rest of the day feels good, I will bump to 20/20 tomorrow and then maybe up to 30/30 by Thursday if I get the ok from the physical therapist. Will be back in the gym next week also, doing upper body work. Nothing heavy, more like circuits of 30 reps ea to keep the pathways open.

Sorry to hear of your injury. I had a miniscus tear repaired in October.Probably hurried the recovery a little too much, but eventually returned to my normal schedule. I don't work out nearly as strenuously as you, that's for sure. Best wishes for a quick and effective recovery!

ACL, MCL and medial meniscus damage is rough. they actually call that the "unhappy triad." you are making great progress though, especially ROM wise. you should have no problem runnin those races in june. im in school to be an athletic trainer right now and im actually rehabing 2 ACL reconstructions. one is about 3 months post- op and the other is about one week. i know what youre going through because i see it in them too. hang in there, youll be wet again in no time.

Hang in there! Sounds like you're doing well.

My knees are a victim of genetic deformity. They are not made right... but you can't "see" the deformity by looking at me. I've had my left knee, pretty much, reconstructed.... after I put my kneecap to the back of my leg, and tore every piece of soft tissue in it. (The MRI looked like a solid white blob!) That was a 6 month recovery. Since then, I've had 2 more surgeries on that knee, and one on my other knee. I have severe artheritis in both knees... and my right knee still does not track correctly. I need knee replacements, but I'm too young (will be 30 in April). So... I suffer with it... take meds, and get injections for now.... as well as work out, to keep my legs strong. (Very limited on working out... cannot do anything with more impact than walking). Swimming and Diving are my top favorite things to do... because they cause me the least amount of pain and swelling.

Believe me... I can feel your pain! You hang in there... you'll be back in the water in no time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom